Shepherd's Pie Topping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now Thats clever Vera. I quite like the idea of mashed pumpkin or Kumara. (sweet potato). Or a medley of mashed stuff, pumpkin, kumara, turnip, parsnip etc. It could be quite fun to line the dish with sliced taties.

I really like the idea of using the stuffing mix. My daughter makes a green bean casserole with stuffing on top, and it's very good.
Canned biscuits would work, too, or drop bisquits made from a mix with cheese and herbs added.

Another thought would be topping it with with cornbread...a boxed mix would be fine. You could add the cheese to the mix, and perhaps some herbs that you like with lamb, like parsley, sage, rosemary & thyme? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
sherperds pie topping

lyndalou said:
I want to make the above with lamb, peas, carrots and wonder if anyone can suggest a topping that is not mashed potatoes. Just trying to come up with something different. If mashed potatoes is the topping of choice, would you also put grated cheese on top, and what kind?

Thanks.
I always put mashed tatties on mine, we love it YUMM, but if u didnt want mashed, what about thinnly sliced potatoes,and use some fresh herbs and S&P, I always put grated cheese on mine, its always a good strong chedder or a mozzerella, plus a bit of parmy, if u like that, we love it here, parmy gives it a good kick, try it see what u think, u can only try.

You are the cook!

Constance said:
I saw Paula Deen doing an episode on English Pub Food after she and Michael took a trip to London.
She made a fabulous looking shepherd's pie with the mashed potatoes on the bottom, topped with a layer of leftover roast beef and gravy, peas and carrots, and then a layer of bisquit batter over the top. She used baking mix, and made the batter about the thickness of pancake batter, then poured melted butter over the top. I can't remember all the details, but it looked scrumptious.

I looked for the episode, but it's not listed.

PS...I did a search, and here's the recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda...OOD_9936_33268_PRINT-RECIPE-FULL-PAGE,00.html

Constance, this sounds so good and I thank you for sharing. Everytime I see recipe from you and try it, I am never disappointed! That is sincere compliment. I often comment about recipe that I feel grateful about and I sure hope the one who I give it to knows I mean what I say. I think sometimes that can be a fault of mine to wear your feelings on your 'sleeve'. I don't think I'll outgrow it. This sounds so different.

I grew up with "Cottage Pie" which everyone around my parts calls "Shepherd's Pie". We would eat it a lot because we didn't have big money for steak. Ground burger cooked up (with some gravy mixed in) as the bottom layer, then lots of corn, followed by buttery mashed potatoes.

I've had a version before where the base was like a gravy-laden beef stew, and the top was layered potato slices (like you would for a gratin). The taters were brushed with butter so they browned nicely, and cooked through as they settled into a dense layer atop the steaming/bubbling gravy below. pretty good, but nothing like good mashed taters on top!

Nicholas Mosher said:
I grew up with "Cottage Pie" which everyone around my parts calls "Shepherd's Pie". We would eat it a lot because we didn't have big money for steak. Ground burger cooked up (with some gravy mixed in) as the bottom layer, then lots of corn, followed by buttery mashed potatoes.

I also grew up eating "Cottage Pie" but my mom called it Shephard's Pie. I was unaware that Shephard's Pie was made with lamb and not beef. Hmm...I learn something new everyday on this site!!:)

I also use mashed tatoes on top with cheddar cheese on top for the last 10 or 15 minutes. I think I will have to try Vera's idea next time. Mac and cheese on top sounds scrumptious!! Thanks for the idea Vera!! ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom