"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Casseroles

Old 12-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds and looks good to me

Thanks for the recipe Chef and for the photo Pac

Old 12-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
And it looks something like this
Attachment 16573

(Sorry CM, not trying to hijack. Just talkin' beans )
It's fine. That's something I've been accused of being full of before That picture looks good enough to eat!!!

Old 12-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Maloney View Post
It's fine. That's something I've been accused of being full of before That picture looks good enough to eat!!!
Thanks
I'll have to try topping with Am cheese sometime. I like the sounds of that.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Cool spin on basic beanie weanies ... and I love those LOL

Will give this a go very soon !
Old 12-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Thanks
I'll have to try topping with Am cheese sometime. I like the sounds of that.
This recipe actually originated and was taken (by me) from a childrens cookbook called 'Casserole Cooking Fun' copyright 1967 . I embellished it over the years with the help of one of my niece' with a bit of brown sugar & dry onion & liquid smoke. Original recipe only called for the frankfurters, beans, ketchup & cheese.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
This recipe actually originated and was taken (by me) from a childrens cookbook called 'Casserole Cooking Fun' copyright 1967 . I embellished it over the years with the help of one of my niece' with a bit of brown sugar & dry onion & liquid smoke. Original recipe only called for the frankfurters, beans, ketchup & cheese.
You can get some simple and very quick meals from children's cookbooks. Worth exploring at the library.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
That combination contains so many foods I do not eat--hot dogs, ketchup, canned baked beans. It just sounds like something that one should not eat because it has so many things in it that are not good for you....Now, take out the hotdogs, use homemade sausage for high-quality meat or, dare I suggest, tofu, homemade beans, homemade salsa instead of ketchup...I could see maybe making it, but not with canned beans, ketchup, and frankfurters.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #18
Executive Chef

German - frankfurters (hot dogs)
Mexican - beans
Together = German/Mexican fusion

BTW, back in the late 50s/early 60s Campbells used to put this recipe in a can. Not only did parents feed it to their kids, but the Army fed it to their troops in C-Rations boxes!
Old 12-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
German - frankfurters (hot dogs)
Mexican - beans
Together = German/Mexican fusion

BTW, back in the late 50s/early 60s Campbells used to put this recipe in a can. Not only did parents feed it to their kids, but the Army fed it to their troops in C-Rations boxes!
Thank goodness my mom never fed it to us (even though she was married to a Navy man). There are some things one need not eat. Hot dogs, canned beans, and ketchup are in that group, IMO.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Having a bad day, CW? Why so negative?
It's pretty clear in the title what this thread is about. Maybe you should put it on your ignore list.

Tags
recipe

Simple Frankfurter Bake [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=sienna]simple fRaNkFuRtEr BaKe[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=black]6 - 8 Frankfurters (HotDogs) (I like to use beef, but any will do fine)[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic]2 15oz. cans Pork & Beans[/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic]2 Tablespoons Dried Onions[/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic]1/4 cup Ketchup[/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic]2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar[/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic]1/2 teaspoon Liquid Smoke (hickory or mesquite)[/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic]american cheese slices (optional)[/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic]Cut the FrankFurters into 1/2" slices.[/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic]MIX & Combine All Ingredients (except cheese) in an Oiled casserole dish.[/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic]COVER & BAKE in pre-heated 375 degree oven for 60 minutes.[/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic](optional... uncover & top w/cheese slices. Return to Oven to Melt Cheese)[/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic]eat. smile :smile:[/FONT] 3 stars 1 reviews