Simple Frankfurter Bake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Maloney

Senior Cook
simple fRaNkFuRtEr BaKe

6 - 8 Frankfurters (HotDogs) (I like to use beef, but any will do fine)
2 15oz. cans Pork & Beans
2 Tablespoons Dried Onions
1/4 cup Ketchup
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Liquid Smoke (hickory or mesquite)
american cheese slices (optional)

Cut the FrankFurters into 1/2" slices.
MIX & Combine All Ingredients (except cheese) in an Oiled casserole dish.
COVER & BAKE in pre-heated 375 degree oven for 60 minutes.
(optional... uncover & top w/cheese slices. Return to Oven to Melt Cheese)
eat. smile :)

Last edited:
The hot dogs, beans and everyting else is already precooked during packaging. So why 60 minutes to bake at such a high temperature of 375ºF.? You are basically just heating the ingredients up.

The hot dogs, beans and everyting else is already precooked during packaging. So why 60 minutes to bake at such a high temperature of 375ºF.? You are basically just heating the ingredients up.

I dunno. To maybe blend the dried onions, brown sugar and flavors together?
Cook it as you like. :)

I used to make a very similar recipe when I could eat hot dogs; it was done on the stovetop. You sauteed a chopped onion and clove or garlic, then added the rest of the ingredients, along with a teaspoon or so of Worcestershire sauce for that umami boost :)

I used to make a very similar recipe when I could eat hot dogs; it was done on the stovetop. You sauteed a chopped onion and clove or garlic, then added the rest of the ingredients, along with a teaspoon or so of Worcestershire sauce for that umami boost :)

I saute the sliced dogs, too. It gives them a nice caramelization :yum:

Cool spin on basic beanie weanies ... and I love those LOL

Will give this a go very soon !

I'll have to try topping with Am cheese sometime. I like the sounds of that.

This recipe actually originated and was taken (by me) from a childrens cookbook called 'Casserole Cooking Fun' copyright 1967 . I embellished it over the years with the help of one of my niece' with a bit of brown sugar & dry onion & liquid smoke. Original recipe only called for the frankfurters, beans, ketchup & cheese.

This recipe actually originated and was taken (by me) from a childrens cookbook called 'Casserole Cooking Fun' copyright 1967 . I embellished it over the years with the help of one of my niece' with a bit of brown sugar & dry onion & liquid smoke. Original recipe only called for the frankfurters, beans, ketchup & cheese.

You can get some simple and very quick meals from children's cookbooks. Worth exploring at the library. :angel:

That combination contains so many foods I do not eat--hot dogs, ketchup, canned baked beans. It just sounds like something that one should not eat because it has so many things in it that are not good for you....Now, take out the hotdogs, use homemade sausage for high-quality meat or, dare I suggest, tofu, homemade beans, homemade salsa instead of ketchup...I could see maybe making it, but not with canned beans, ketchup, and frankfurters.

German - frankfurters (hot dogs)
Mexican - beans
Together = German/Mexican fusion

BTW, back in the late 50s/early 60s Campbells used to put this recipe in a can. Not only did parents feed it to their kids, but the Army fed it to their troops in C-Rations boxes!

German - frankfurters (hot dogs)
Mexican - beans
Together = German/Mexican fusion

BTW, back in the late 50s/early 60s Campbells used to put this recipe in a can. Not only did parents feed it to their kids, but the Army fed it to their troops in C-Rations boxes!
Thank goodness my mom never fed it to us (even though she was married to a Navy man). There are some things one need not eat. Hot dogs, canned beans, and ketchup are in that group, IMO.

Having a bad day, CW? Why so negative?
It's pretty clear in the title what this thread is about. Maybe you should put it on your ignore list.

Back
Top Bottom