Tater Tot Casserole/Hotdish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cover the bottom of a 13 X 9 casserole dish with tater tots. Place in a 425 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes.

Sweat 1 cup diced onion
Add 1.5 pounds ground beef (I used 93% lean) and brown.
If needed drain off fat
Add 2 packages of Chili seasoning and 2 cans of rotel (10oz) cook until most of the moisture has evaporated.
Add 1 10oz package of frozen corn.
Turn off cooktop.

Remove dish from the oven and cover with the beef mixture.
Return to oven for 20 minutes. Top with one can of enchilada sauce and 2 cups of shredded cheese. (I used a 4 cheese Mexican blend)
Return to oven until the cheese is slightly browned

img_1389845_0_2ff9e9764f809d7fc9785a6f7dcc041d.jpg

Thank you so much for posting. JoAnn L.

I haven't made this in years...I don't do canned soup. But I did grow up eating this...

I grew up getting a lot of foods with canned soup. Now I try to limit my intake of processed foods. Since I travel for work it is hard but when I have a choice I avoid / limit them.

Indeed. Why mess with perfection? Love the Tots.
Because they contain soy and I try to only eat organic potatoes. Potatoes are one of "The Dirty Dozen". (I'm not saying there is anything wrong with soy, but I'm not supposed to eat soy unless it's fermented.)

Because they contain soy and I try to only eat organic potatoes. Potatoes are one of "The Dirty Dozen". (I'm not saying there is anything wrong with soy, but I'm not supposed to eat soy unless it's fermented.)

Just curious - why fermented?

I think you could make shredded hash browns and use that instead of tater tots.

I could never forget you. One of the most interesting and fascinating folks I know. I still hear from Ro and Thea every so often. Facebook broke our little group up. I still keep in touch with Nance. Have been to visit her a couple of times. And we talk for hours about twice a month on the phone. I was so glad to have found you here. DC is most fortunate to have you as a member. :angel:

Such kind words from a total PEACH of a lady!! You rock!

Tnx

Ps tater tots rule!

No cream of ... soup, doesn't make it tater tot hotdish! It's a casserole!

That's not exactly true. I grew up in Wisconsin and tater tot casserole on that side of the border is the same thing Minnesotans call hotdish. We also call water fountains "bubblers" and soft drinks are called "sodas" rather than pop.

One point of contention: there is no chili powder in traditional Minnesconsin hotdish/casserole. Not that it's a bad thing, but people in this part of the world would deem it far too spicy for their tender Scandinavian palates. Also, my mom would have used a can of green beans or corn rather than fancy schmancy mixed vegetables.

All semantics aside, this recipe looks good. I might have to try it.

Last edited:
That's not exactly true. I grew up in Wisconsin and tater tot casserole on that side of the border is the same thing Minnesotans call hotdish. We also call water fountains "bubblers" and soft drinks are called "sodas" rather than pop.

One point of contention: there is no chili powder in traditional Minnesconsin hotdish/casserole. Not that it's a bad thing, but people in this part of the world would deem it far too spicy for their tender Scandinavian palates. Also, my mom would have used a can of green beans or corn rather than fancy schmancy mixed vegetables.

All semantics aside, this recipe looks good. I might have to try it.
Steve, Steve, Steve, I grew up in the heart of Scandahoovia--that would be about 2 hours north of the Cities (just past Motley), north to the border (that would be Warroad/Hallock), and west to Fargo. If you move east towards Hibbing, that would be where the Italians and Finns settled.

Casseroles were what you could feed to company, hotdishes were made wtih canned soup (usually cream of mushroom), hamburger, and a starch (tater tots, macaroni or rice). If you got fancy, you put in green beans or frozen corn or frozen peas! Never forget the versatility of frozen peas!

Salt and Pepper, chili powder only goes in chili. No garlic, no onion, just cream of whatever soup, hamburger, and starch. Chili powder would offend one's sense of snowblindness.

I had classmates named Lars, Leif, Jens, Bjorn, Lena, Knute, and Olaf. Not to mention all the Kristy/Kirsten/Kirsty derivatives and all those last names that ended in son/sen.

Last edited:
I love these un-win-able arguements.
Exactly.

And the funny thing is, it's not even an argument, since she just basically said the same thing I did. ;)

More or less. :ermm:

Even my wife, who seldom agrees with me on anything (and who also has lived in MN for 50+ years), will agree with me that hotdish and casserole are synonyms. One is just a more Minnesota term.

But maybe things are different furder nort, don'tcha know.

Back
Top Bottom