"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Casseroles

Old 09-27-2014, 12:04 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
This is how it rocks and rolls in MN:

Minnesota Hot Dish Recipes - Tater Tot Hotdish and More

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Minne...iw=865&bih=380

I haven't made this in years...I don't do canned soup. But I did grow up eating this...
The only "condensed" soup we get here is Campbell's. Vile to eat as soup but I have to confess a secret passion for it in a sort of chicken, pasta and broccoli bake that a friend makes which combines condensed mushroom soup and mayonnaise mixed together (weird!). I daren't ask for the recipe as my reputation as a cook would bomb.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:18 PM   #42
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
All hot dishes are casseroles.

Are all casseroles hotdishes????
Can't resist throwing a cat among the pigeons just for the hell of it. Here goes.

A casserole is a dish of meat (usually), veg and stock (and sometimes wine) cooked slowly in the oven. Examples thereof being boeuf bourguignon, coq au vin, jugged hare, Lancashire hotpot and Irish stew. The covered dish they are cooked in is called a casserole too. So there.

A hot dish is anything that isn't cold.

(I can run very fast when DC-ers are chasing me)

Old 09-27-2014, 12:32 PM   #43
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
All hot dishes are casseroles.

Are all casseroles hotdishes????
I would have to say no. It could be argued that oven mac & cheese is a casserole, especially if it contained frankfurters and vegetables, but no Minnesotan would ever call it hotdish.

I don't care anymore. Now I'm just hungry.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:37 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
CWS and I were talking (emailing?) about this. The term probably comes from the Scandinavian tradition of often having a few hot dishes at a smørrebrødsbord (smörgåsbord in Swedish).
Old 09-27-2014, 01:58 PM   #45
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
...Examples thereof being boeuf bourguignon, coq au vin...

Actually, Boeuf Bourguignon and Coq au vin are more accurately described as a stew or braise.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:08 PM   #46
Head Chef

Mad Cook,
Love your description of a Hot Dish. LOL

Josie

Quote:
Can't resist throwing a cat among the pigeons just for the hell of it. Here goes.

A casserole is a dish of meat (usually), veg and stock (and sometimes wine) cooked slowly in the oven. Examples thereof being boeuf bourguignon, coq au vin, jugged hare, Lancashire hotpot and Irish stew. The covered dish they are cooked in is called a casserole too. So there.

Old 09-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

We ran a thread a few years ago re: casserole vs. hotdish. The word casserole to mean the contents of the dish (the dish was called a casserole dish) first appeared in a dictionary in either 1954 or 1958. I would have to dig up the notes I made. My grandma's handwritten recipes (pre-1950s) do not include the word casserole to mean the contents of the dish, but do include instructions for putting the hotdish in the casserole dish. My grandma was 1st generation Swedish-American. Her parents spoke Swedish and English, and lived in an area settled by mostly Norwegians and Swedes. Minnesota required pharmacists who could speak Swedish to serve the immigrants. Sometime around 1865, Swedish pharmacists were recruited to come to MN. Both my Swedish great grandfathers immigrated to northern Minnesota to work as pharmacists. Growing up, a hotdish was what you made out of inexpensive meat, starch, and cream of something soup. A casserole had more expensive ingredients (wild rice, water chestnuts, ham/shrimp, broccoli) and was something you could serve company. Tuna hotdish, wild rice casserole, macaroni hotdish.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:41 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

It is an innate thing--growing up in MN, you just know what a hotdish is vs. a casserole. Like Steve said, some things are called casserole and would never to a hotdish, and vice versa.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

So other than being a comfort food, where does mac and cheese fit in? I just want to know what I made tonight.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:10 PM   #50
Master Chef

I'm Swedish and was born in Minneapolis and lived in Fargo! My grandparents immigrated from Sweden. They spoke Swedish a lot and called me Yenny.

Never had a "hot dish" in either place.

Had plenty of weird Nordic food, though... ����

Tags
ground beef, recipe, rotel, tater tots

Tater Tot Casserole/Hotdish Cover the bottom of a 13 X 9 casserole dish with tater tots. Place in a 425 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Sweat 1 cup diced onion Add 1.5 pounds ground beef (I used 93% lean) and brown. If needed drain off fat Add 2 packages of Chili seasoning and 2 cans of rotel (10oz) cook until most of the moisture has evaporated. Add 1 10oz package of frozen corn. Turn off cooktop. Remove dish from the oven and cover with the beef mixture. Return to oven for 20 minutes. Top with one can of enchilada sauce and 2 cups of shredded cheese. (I used a 4 cheese Mexican blend) Return to oven until the cheese is slightly browned [IMG]http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z467/powerplantop/TaterTotFB_zps21dc750f.jpg[/IMG] 3 stars 1 reviews