Vidalia Onion Casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abjcooking

Head Chef
5 vidalia onions, sliced as thin as possible
1 stick land O' lakes butter, land O' Lakes works the best
1/2 cup fresh parmesan cheese grated, more to your taste
20 Ritz crackers, crushed

Melt butter. Saute onions in butter until very limp. Sometimes I have to do 2 batches to get all of the onions. Layer in casserole dish with parmesan cheese.
Onion, cheese, ritz crackers
Onion, cheese, ritz crackers
Make as many layers as you need ending with crushed crackers. Adjust ingredients to your taste if you wish. Sometimes I'll add more cheese and/or crackers, bake at 325 for 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Allen,

We always put it in a 9x13" casserole dish, but I would assume you could make two small ones if you want. This would give you the chance to do each one a little differnetly and experiment.

I have and have made this recipe and my whole family loves it. Even the little kids...the onions and the parm are so good together...It always makesme sad when vidalia season is over and the last one comes out of the hanging pantyhose and is eaten:LOL:

I am going to have to learn to save some for thanksgiving next year...
kadesma:LOL:

I'd think any sweet onion could be used. Texas sweets, Walla Walla, St. Augustine sweets and there are probably others also. If none are available, I would use yellow onions, slice them and put them in salted water for a couple of hours then drain and dry and proceed with the recipe. The soaking in salt water removes some of the sulphur and makes them a little sweeter.

abjcooking said:
Allen,

We always put it in a 9x13" casserole dish, but I would assume you could make two small ones if you want. This would give you the chance to do each one a little differnetly and experiment.

Thanks! Hopefully I'll be able to try it soon.

That sounds awesome! Ritz crackers make such a great topping for casseroles. I don't think you'd have to have Vidalia's...any sweet onion would be good for this recipe.

I really haven't tried it with any other onion. But if I did, I would definitly use a few more onions since the vadalia's are so large. Hope you guys enjoy it. I know it is one of my family's favorites.

I find that it has a little bit of a sweeter taste than other butters that really goes well with the onions, but that is just my preference. Normally I use country crock in most things, but I do buy land o' lakes for this casserole.

Of course Guts,
post away..We all enjoy sharing and reading each others recipes.
kadesma:)

I love Vidalias and will be trying this recipe out sometime. Thanks Abj!

Guts said:
Whould it be ok if I poste my Vidalia Onion Casserole here?
I think it would be great if you could start a new thread with your recipe so others can find it if they do a search for for Vidailia Onion Casserole.:chef:

Guts, I would love to see your recipe.

On another note, I made this with my mom for the Holiday's and found out that she layered the crushed ritz with the onions instead of putting it on top. I guess she has changed it over the years.

Back
Top Bottom