"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Casseroles
Old 03-14-2007, 11:01 PM   #11
Senior Cook
Well Quadlex, don't know if you'll read this before you eat the next serving of your "boring slurry" but I would bet that the mediterranean sauce mix from your mother wasn't up to the job of flavoring everything you cooked, all by itself.

I agree with the folks who are suggesting sausage--especially Italian sausage--because that would up the flavor quotient considerably. A good dollop of a zingy Italian herb mix and some garlic would help, too. I'd also throw in a little red wine--and serve the stuff over pasta or rice, with a sprinkling of good cheese, as a sauce-type thing.

"Taste as you go" is a good rule when you're cooking, until you get some experience in creating the flavors you like. If you're using a flavoring packet, what quantity of food is it intended to flavor?

Good luck!

TexanFrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:04 AM   #12
Executive Chef
One thing I'd try is make it into a spaghetti or macaroni casserole. Add the It sausage and garlic to the sauce, then pour it over the noodle of choice.

Top with cheese 10 minutes before the heating up is finished.

If it's sloppy, could you boil it down to thicken it up before you continue? Then you could make It meatballs and have subs with that as the sauce.

Please spay and neuter your pets. The Animal Rescue Site
Half Baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:38 AM   #13
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Me thinks Andy was suggesting "Rocket the vegetable" (also known as "Arugula"), not the Rocket that sends something off to outer space...
Interesting suggestion though... I never cooked rocket, always use them for salads and such... Andy, have you tried them cooked? How are they?
urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:50 AM   #14
Executive Chef
I'd use your base as a sauce for a baked pasta of some sort ... lasagna or stuffed shells or even penne or zitti...you can still layer those. If you are going meatless as it sounds, use spinach or kale and ricotta and an egg to make clumps or balls, keep your sauce chunky but spice it up some...chilli flakes, basil or oregano, or fennel seed (ground), and then layer the pasta with the sauce, the spinach mix, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses etc. bake till bubbly ...
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:31 PM   #15
Head Chef
I would not add anything to the casserole to make it any bigger than it already is. Just use it for filling in cabbage rolls, stuffed green bell peppers, served hot over crunchy toasted garlic bread, use it for topping on baked potatoes, put it on a pizza pie crust. Otherwise use it as a side dish if you cannot freeze some for next month.
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --- Thomas Edison
StirBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:39 PM   #16
Executive Chef
Is there enough bulk that you could strain some of the liquid out. You could use that for another meal....soups?
Please spay and neuter your pets. The Animal Rescue Site
Half Baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:20 PM   #17
Sous Chef
Oh, soup is a good idea! You could freeze it in 1 or 2 cup portions and use it to add a spike of flavor to soups!
PytnPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:51 PM   #18
Sous Chef
All of the above suggestions are fine. Texan French is an excellent one.
I think: if you have created some dish YOU DO NOT LIKE...eat as much of it as you can. Give it away. Addit to your compost. Why spend more time and ingredients? Start fresh with a new recipe.

Aria is offline   Reply With Quote