What do you serve with casseroles??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ps8

Senior Cook
What side dishes could one serve (doesn't that sound so old-fashioned & proper??) with a casserole that has the meat, veggies & taters in it? Salad is an obvious answer, I guess, but I was looking for other options. Any suggestions?

Since the casserole already has meat, veggies, and starch you really have all your bases covered. How about a fruit to start? Maybe a fruit salad or grapefruit half?

I have moved this to the Casseroles forum.

Last edited:
Not knowing what kind of casserole it is you might want to introduce a new vegetable as a side. The obvious, like you said, is salad - I was going to say fruit but GB beat me to it.

I love to do a fruit salad (shredded lettuce on the bottom) and use either plain yogurt or vanilla yogurt as a topping/dressing.

These might sound strange but my mom use to make jello salads with fruit in them. She would also do a pear salad. I will post a few of the recipes under the salad section.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fruit salad! What a great idea! And jello is always good! Thanks for the ideas.

I like to make jello with 1 c of applesauce mixed in. It gives it an interesting, firmer texture, not so jiggly. I also like to mix bits of fresh fruit (mango, banana, strawberries, blueberries) or tiny marshmallows 1/2 way through the setting process.

i found this discussion by using Google ^^ and it was a life saver. I ended up making toast with mozzarella and cheddar cheese and then made a small fruit salad.

Im old enough to remember when casseroles were cool and were what we served for company dinners. Salad and crusty bread were the accompaniments, because they work. Get as creative as you want with that salad.

Entertaining with casseroles is SO easy! :LOL:

Coleslaw is a nice light addition for a casserole, especially those that tend to be on the heavy side. I also like to serve applesauce because it is very refreshing. Also, I have served plate of pickles, olives, marinated mushrooms, etc. I make it special by buying green olives stuffed with almonds, garlic or blue cheese.

Back
Top Bottom