Whats Your Favorite Casserole?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK..now it's your turn (all of you) post the recipies you just mentioned.
Or should another thread be started and called "Favorite Casseroles" and the recipes above be transfered to it???
Marge~Dove

t hanks Dove, sounds like good one. No wonder your favorite.

Zucchini casserole

2-8oz refrigerated cresent rolls
1/4 c margarine
8 c thin, sliced zucchini
2 c chopped onion
1/2 c minced parsley
3/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp oregano
2 garlic colves, crushed
4 eggs beaten
3/4 tsp salt
3 cups shredded mozzerella
1 c grated parmessan

Heat oven 375
Press crescent into bottom and up sides of 9x13 pan. Pinch seams together.
Melt butter in large skillet, add next 7 ingredients and saute until zucchini is tender.
In a medium bowl, combine eggs, cheeses and salt. Toss zucchini in eggs mixture. Pour onto crescent crust and bake 35-40 minutes or until center is set.

I just checked my Better Crocker Cook Book...It is the 1961 edition...I remember saving the box tops and sending for it.

Runza Casserole

2 pounds ground beef
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 cans ready to bake crescent rolls
1 package (about 8 slices) Swiss cheese (I use 2 cups shredded Chedder)
1 head cabbage, finely shredded (I use the packaged shredded)
1 medium onion, diced

Grease a 9 x 13-inch pan. Cover the bottom of the pan with 1 package of crescent rolls.

Brown ground beef with cabbage and onions. Drain grease from ground beef. Combine ground beef, cabbage and onion with cream of mushroom soup. Pour over crescent rolls. Layer top of ground beef mixture with Swiss cheese. Open second can of crescent rolls and layer over top of Swiss cheese, trying to cover all the cheese, so the cheese does not become browned during baking. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes.

I have a smaller version I also make

Runza Casserole

Ingredients
1 LB Ground Beef
Onions to taste
Salt and pepper
1 can crescent rolls
1/4 head cabbage
cheddar cheese - shreaded
Procedure
Brown ground beef, cabbage, onion, salt and pepper. Drain
Lightly roll 1/2 can of crescent rolls and place in the bottom of a
8x8 pan. Spread the hamburger mixture in the pan. Add cheese.
Roll out the other 1/2 of the crescent rolls and place on top of the
ground beef mixture. Brush lightly with melted butter.
Bake at 350 degrees until rolls are done (Approx 10-20 minutes)

This one does not have the soup in it. I have made the larger one without soup too.​

Kitchenelf,

I'll send you the recipe as soon as I reach my hubby in the UK.......he'll be back in KZ in a few days and will be happy to send me the recipe for the chicken pie.......but the basics are.......2 cups of cooked chopped chicken, one 10oz package of cooked peas and carrots, a cup of white seasoned sauce with 1/2 tsp. nutmeg and started with chicken broth (really does add to the flavor) half-whole cup of cooked chopped onions,
once you have the pie shell down add the onions, peas and carrots, chopped chicken and or turkey, sauce, top off with a top pastry or if you want to really get raves with a crisscross of layers...........I like to brush some eggwhite for a nice touch.....and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.......

Mine isn't in too bad of shape. It's all in one piece. I use it alot.There are alot of great recipes. My mother bought it for me when I first got married 35 years ago. The one I have from my grandmother has the back spine missing but the pages are still intact. The recipes are really something the way they are laid out. I bought one for my dd when she got married 8 yrs. ago.

Barb

My Aunt Inez worked for the Betty Crocker test kitchens up in Minneapolis and helped write that first cookbook. I have her copy of the first edition, and it's still in pretty good shape. Of course, to me, it's priceless.

While in Korea my friends housegirl fixed lunch for all of us. (we were playing cards)
she browned hamburger, onions and garlic. Added a head of cabbage and when it was about done she added cooked rice ( a couple of cups) and the soy sauce to taste.
I use to fix it quite often....

Never heard of putting rice in it, but it sounds like it works. We always put our runza filling in squares of bread dough, seal them and bake. Also add spaghetti sauce, or pizza sauce, both with or without various cheeses. There are other variations, too.

ANOTHER QUESTION...
just wanting to know what kinda casserole is your most favoritte of all?
MINE of course would be tater tot casserole.... :chef:

Mine would be beef a la bouguinonne, coq au vin or a wild boar casserole, served with pappardelle, which is best made and eaten in Florence.

Archiduc

Squash Casserole - MY FAVORITE!

Hi All - I'm pretty new here...I just found this recipe a month or so ago and tried it. Wow, super good. People that don't like squash liked it. ;)

Ingredients:
3 1/2 pounds butternut squash (about 2 medium), peeled, seeded, cut into 3/4- to 1-inch cubes (8 cups)

2 tablespoons olive oil
Coarse kosher salt
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, divided
1 cup onion, diced
1 1/ teaspoons chopped fresh sage
1 5.5-ounce log soft fresh goat cheese
1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted, husked, coarsely chopped

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400°F. Place butternut squash cubes and olive oil in large bowl; sprinkle with coarse kosher salt and ground pepper and toss to coat. Spread out squash cubes on large rimmed baking sheet. Roast until just tender and beginning to brown, stirring occasionally, about 35 minutes.

Meanwhile, melt 3 tablespoons butter in heavy medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and chopped sage; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté until tender but not brown. Coat 11x7-inch baking dish with remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Spread half of onion mixture over bottom of prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with half of squash and half of cheese. Repeat layering with onion, squash, and cheese.

Preheat oven to 375°F. Sprinkle with toasted chopped hazelnuts and cheese. Bake uncovered until gratin is heated through - 30 minutes

My favorite casserole is a beef enchilada casserole. It has the same great flavor as enchiladas without all the fuss.

Beef Enchilada Casserole

2 lbs. browned ground beef
2 – 14 ½ oz. cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
1 cup water
2 tablespoon chili powder
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
18 six-inch corn tortillas

Combine ground beef, tomatoes, water, chili powder, green pepper, and onion in large skillet. Bring to boil and reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Line a 13”x9”x2” pan with a third of the tortillas. Top with third of meat sauce and third of the cheese. Repeat layers, reserving the remaining third of the cheese. Bake covered in a 350º oven for 45 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of casserole and bake uncovered for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

I must say, this is not a fair question...favorite casserole?

Butternut squash casserole
Yellow squash casserole
Corn casserole
And we can't forget the ever-sacred "green bean casserole" on Thanksgiving!

Well, if you go by the "looseness" of casseroles being a combination of meat, sauce, some sort of pasta or starch, veggies......etc........then my favorite would be lasange (sp) hands down.........:)

I have always thought casseroles are made in the oven in a casserole dish while one pot meals are made on the stove or crock pot.

My mom made one pot meals, soups, stews, stuffed cabbage which almost always came with at least a side salad etc. but the only casserole dishes she ever made were macaroni and cheese, lasagna and eggplant parmesan.

Back
Top Bottom