"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Casseroles
Old 11-13-2008, 08:16 PM   #111
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by kimbaby View Post
just wanting to know what kinda casserole is your most favoritte of all?
MINE of course would be tater tot casserole....
Mine would be beef a la bouguinonne, coq au vin or a wild boar casserole, served with pappardelle, which is best made and eaten in Florence.

archiduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:04 PM   #112
Senior Cook
Thumbs up Squash Casserole - MY FAVORITE!

Hi All - I'm pretty new here...I just found this recipe a month or so ago and tried it. Wow, super good. People that don't like squash liked it.

3 1/2 pounds butternut squash (about 2 medium), peeled, seeded, cut into 3/4- to 1-inch cubes (8 cups)

2 tablespoons olive oil
Coarse kosher salt
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, divided
1 cup onion, diced
1 1/ teaspoons chopped fresh sage
1 5.5-ounce log soft fresh goat cheese
1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted, husked, coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 400F. Place butternut squash cubes and olive oil in large bowl; sprinkle with coarse kosher salt and ground pepper and toss to coat. Spread out squash cubes on large rimmed baking sheet. Roast until just tender and beginning to brown, stirring occasionally, about 35 minutes.

Meanwhile, melt 3 tablespoons butter in heavy medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and chopped sage; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Saut until tender but not brown. Coat 11x7-inch baking dish with remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Spread half of onion mixture over bottom of prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with half of squash and half of cheese. Repeat layering with onion, squash, and cheese.

Preheat oven to 375F. Sprinkle with toasted chopped hazelnuts and cheese. Bake uncovered until gratin is heated through - 30 minutes

People will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel.
Jeni78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:39 AM   #113
Master Chef
My favorite casserole is a beef enchilada casserole. It has the same great flavor as enchiladas without all the fuss.

Beef Enchilada Casserole

2 lbs. browned ground beef
2 14 oz. cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
1 cup water
2 tablespoon chili powder
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
18 six-inch corn tortillas

Combine ground beef, tomatoes, water, chili powder, green pepper, and onion in large skillet. Bring to boil and reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Line a 13x9x2 pan with a third of the tortillas. Top with third of meat sauce and third of the cheese. Repeat layers, reserving the remaining third of the cheese. Bake covered in a 350 oven for 45 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of casserole and bake uncovered for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:23 PM   #114
Assistant Cook
I must say, this is not a fair question...favorite casserole?

Butternut squash casserole
Yellow squash casserole
Corn casserole
And we can't forget the ever-sacred "green bean casserole" on Thanksgiving!
dit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:45 PM   #115
Master Chef
Well, if you go by the "looseness" of casseroles being a combination of meat, sauce, some sort of pasta or starch, veggies......etc........then my favorite would be lasange (sp) hands down.........:)
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #116
Head Chef
I have always thought casseroles are made in the oven in a casserole dish while one pot meals are made on the stove or crock pot.

My mom made one pot meals, soups, stews, stuffed cabbage which almost always came with at least a side salad etc. but the only casserole dishes she ever made were macaroni and cheese, lasagna and eggplant parmesan.

PieSusan is offline   Reply With Quote