Whats Your Favorite Casserole?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anything with cheese in it & on it suits me to a T - Probably squash casserole is my favorite -
Tonight I'm trying Tilly's pork chops - Sounds so easy & good - Thanks, Glenda

I love casseroles. For me they are a great comfort food and there isn't as much clean up. Here are some of my favorites depending on my mood.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f58/creamed-chicken-and-biscuits-18252.html?highlight=creamed+chicken+biscuits

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f15/chicken-sensational-5905.html?highlight=chicken+sensational

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f15/chinese-noodle-chicken-5906.html?highlight=chinese+noodle+chicken

Light sour cream chcken enchiladas

1 (8oz.) container light sour cream
1 (8oz.) container nonfat plain yogurt
1 (10 3/4oz.) can condensed 99% fat free cream of chicken soup with 1/3 less salt
1 (4oz.) can diced green chiles
12 (7inch) flour or white corn tortillas
4 oz. (1 cup) shredded 1/3 less fat cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
1/4 cup sliced green onions

Heat oven to 350. Spry 13x9 inch (3qt) baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In medium bowl, combine sour cream, yougurt, soup and chiles, mix well

Spoon about 3 T. sour cream mixture down center of each tortilla. Reserve 1/4 cup of the cheese; sprinkle tortillas with remaining cheese, chicken and onions. Roll up place in sprayed dish. Spoon remaining sour cream mixture over tortillas. Cover with foil

Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Remove foil; sprinkle with reserved 1/4 cup cheese. Bake uncovered for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. If desired, garnish with shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes.

Cornbread/Hamburger Casserole

1-1/2 lb. hamburger meat
2 15oz. cans Ranch Style Beans
1 medium jar picante sauce
2 cups shredded cheese (we use colby and Jack or mozzarella)
2 boxes jiffy cornbread mix
2 eggs
2/3 cup milk

heat to 350

Brown hamburger meat and drain
Place hamburger in a deep 9x13 baking dish
stir in beans and 3/4 jar picante sauce (or to your taste)
Top with cheese
Prepare cornbread as directed on box
pour cornbread over hamburger/cheese
Bake until cornbread is golden brown (appx 20-30 minutes)

Amish Chicken Casserole

Here's one of our family's favorites:

AMISH CHICKEN CASSEROLE

8 oz. noodles (your favorite size)
2 cups cooked and cubed chicken
2 cups chicken broth (homemade or canned)
1 cup milk
1 small can mushrooms (we use pieces and stems)
2 tsp. salt (or slightly less to taste)
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup margarine
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Preheat oven to 350° F. Melt margarine, then whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk and broth (separately or can be mixed); then stir in seasonings and mushrooms. Combine chicken, cooked noodles and prepared sauce. Put in ungreased 9x13" baking pan and top with Parmesan cheese. Bake for 20 minutes.

This can be made ahead and heated when needed but will take slightly longer to heat completely through. I have also made this in the microwave--microwave on 80% power for about 10 minutes if freshly made, longer if from refrigerator.

Optional: You can add whatever vegetables your family especially likes. We like the original version better and have the vegetables on the side along with salad.

I tried pdswife's stuffed cabbage casserole last night and it was fantastic. I wasn't even hungry, but I kept eating it.
It only took me about 15 minutes to prep, I threw it in the oven, and watched tv. I will be keeping this recipe.

I know this is probabably a hard one... no meat specific. But Slow Cooker (Crockpot) recipe, that does not require a canned soup, but may require a pre-browning. I know this fits short ribs , and a beef roast may be part of your recipe, but I only like beef med rare... so a 7 ~10 hr beef simmer does not make my day. Any ideas? Am open to all.... :)

Tamale Pie casserole/Enchilada Pie
esp. Cornbread crust with chicken and green tomatilla sauce and lots of cheese and black olives.

Mine would be something I call "feel good" which is the typical pasta, sauce, cheesey thing. The other would be Carpathian Cabbage, with rice, ground beef and cabbage. The 3rd would be Sheppard Pie. Love them all.

Hi all - I make a Super Easy Chicken Spaghetti and a Sour Cream Enchilada Casserole. Both are yummy and very easy. I have put both of them on my lunch menu and have reguest for pans of them If anyone would like the recipe, let me know and when I get to the Kitchen tomorrow I will post them. Have a great week!

Looooooooooong time ago, I was travelling with several other students and we were to stay at the house of one of us. His mother had no idea when we would show up, but she had dinner well in hand:

Meatballs were made and browned ahead of time so she just warmed them up.

Then she cooked a couple of bags of frozen limas-drained them and mixed them with the meatballs and lots of sour cream and lots of freshly ground black pepper.

The whole thing went in the oven for a few minutes to finish warming and was devoured quickly.

Very good, very easy and very flexible for the late arrivals.

Browsing through the posts, I didn't see many seafood casseroles, so here's my contribution!

Shrimp and Crab casserole

1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 cup finely chopped celery
1 (6-ounce) can crabmeat, picked free of any broken shells
1 (4-ounce) can medium shrimp
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup buttered cracker crumbs or bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a medium casserole dish or medium glass baking dish with butter.
In a large bowl, combine the bell pepper, onion, and celery. Add the crabmeat and shrimp, and then the mayonnaise, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce, tossing gently with a plastic spatula to combine. Spoon the mixture into the prepared dish. Sprinkle crumbs and cheese over top. Bake until a golden brown crust develops, about 30 minutes.

I have a tendency of doing "whats in the fridge" casseroles. The two that I do the most with actual planning is cabbage roll casserole, which is just all the ingredients of cabbage rolls layered in my pyrex (for those who say they don't like cabbage rolls like DH) and pasta, usually shells, sliced italian sausage, curds, tomato/pasta sauce, topped by melted cheese... DH loves that one, he calls it pasta poutine because of the melted curds that I mix in.

lamb

Thanks for offering this recipe. Just in time, I happened to get some good lamb shanks yesterday and will try this. Of course, around here has to be 'special' occasion. It doesn't seem people around here care for lamb and is bit pricey. I have once heard it is easy to digest. The fact you tried and liked it, is security that it is good. Prefer tried 'n true.

Here's one of our family favorites that I think you will enjoy:

Sausage and Noodles

2 lb bulk pork sausage
1 lb wide egg noodles
2 can cream mushroom soup
2 can mushrooms
1/4 cup fresh parsley; chopped
milk, salt & pepper; to taste
1/2 lb Velveeta; sliced
paprika

In large pasta bowl, break up sausage and cook till pink is gone. Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling water until almost Done. Drain sausage in large colander, mashing with fork to remove grease. Dump pasta and mushrooms into colander over sausage. When all is well drained, return to pasta bowl. Stir in soup and parsley. (You may substitute 1 tbl dried parsley) Add enough milk to make mixture moist but not soupy. Adjust seasoning. Microwave untill warmed through. Cover top with slices of Velveeta. Dust top with paprika. Return to microwave, and cook till cheese is melted. *If you wish, before warming through, you may divide into 2 or more smaller bowls and freeze some. *You may substitute roll sausage for bulk. *You may add fresh or frozen broccoli to boiling noodles about half way through cooking.
You can do this in the oven also. Just put in baking dishes...it's a big batch, so you can eat one and freeze one.

This is one of my extreme favorites. It works as a side dish or a main dish, & I make it frequently.

POTATOES ITALIANO BAKE (adapted from 365 Ways To Cook Vegetarian)

1 6-ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 24-ounce or so package frozen Potatoes O'Brien (frozen diced potatoes mixed with onion & peppers), thawed
2-3 sun-dried tomatoes, oil-packed, or dried & reconstituted - chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
8-ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
1 egg, beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350. Drain artichoke hearts, reserving marinade. Coarsely dice artichokes. In a large frying pan, heat artichoke marinade over medium heat. Add onion & cook, stirring occasionally, until softened. Stir in thawed potato mixture, sun-dried tomatoes, & diced artichoke hearts. Remove from heat & let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in salt, cayenne pepper, mozzarella, & egg. Scrape mixture into a generously greased 2-quart baking dish & cover tightly with foil.

Bake 20-25 minutes until potatoes are tender & casserole is piping hot. Remove foil & bake until lightly browned on top. Let stand at least 5 minutes before serving. If served hot, can be spooned out; if at room temp can be cut into squares.

Last edited:
bc

Sounds really different! Will give this try soon. Also would like to check the book you mentioned about vegetables. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom