"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Casseroles
Old 05-15-2006, 07:08 PM   #61
Assistant Cook
My favourite is definitely this potato & hamburger casserole:

It looks weird, but sure tastes good :)

I store my recipes online at http://www.meanmeals.com
desertland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:08 AM   #62
Master Chef
You're welcome!! What's nice about it is that it can be served as a side dish with meat, or, as we usually have it, as a vegetarian main dish served with a green salad.

The cookbook 365 Ways To Cook Vegetarian is a terrific little spiral-bound hardcover book that I use quite frequently. They have a large series of titles, & I also have & use 365 Ways To Cook Chicken & 365 Ways To Cook Pasta. Nothing fancy, just good, interesting easy-to-prepare stuff.

BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:43 AM   #63
Assistant Cook
Question Shepherds Pie

Does anyone have a recipe for a Shepherds Pie that uses cubed beef instead of ground beef? There is a restaurant in Indy that serves one, and I can't seem to replicate it. It has a rich beef gravy with carrots and onions topped with Parmisian Cheese potatoes. Really good.
Army Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:00 PM   #64
Senior Cook
Polish Sausage/Spinach Bake
  • 1 10-oz frozen chopped spinach
  • 4 cups shredded zucchini
  • 1 lb Polish sausage, sliced or chopped
  • 5 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3/4 cups finely crushed soda crackers
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
  • 1 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
  • 1-1/2 tsp dried minced onions
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp basil, crushed
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • Place spinach in boiling water, return to boil, break up spinach and add zucchini
  • Cover, simmer 5 minutes; drain and press out liquid
  • Brown sausage; add to spinach along with remaining ingredients except sour cream
  • Divide between 2 greased casseroles
  • Cover and bake 30 minutes at 350°
  • Uncover and spread the 1/2 cup sour cream on top
  • Sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese; bake uncovered 15 minutes longer

Notes: Can be frozen but baked 1 hour, covered. Top with sour cream and parmesan and bake uncovered 5 minutes longer
Some adjustments I have made with this recipe: Used 2 pkg spinach, 1 chopped and 1 leaf, 1-1/2 lb sausage, 2 Tbsp parsley flakes, 2 Tbsp onion flakes, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 Tbsp basil and 1/2 tsp pepper
Guts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:29 AM   #65
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Army Pam
Does anyone have a recipe for a Shepherds Pie that uses cubed beef instead of ground beef? There is a restaurant in Indy that serves one, and I can't seem to replicate it. It has a rich beef gravy with carrots and onions topped with Parmisian Cheese potatoes. Really good.
Technically, a 'shepherd's pie' contains lamb (hence shepherd) - when you use beef it's called a cottage pie.

If we eat a beef stew with veggies and a mashed potato topping, we call it beef casserole!

It seems that 'casseroles' are different, depending on where you live..

Here's an definition of casserole from one of my old recipe books

A recipe consisting of tougher cuts of meat, poultry or game, cooked slowly in a liquid with flavourings and vegetables until tender. A casserole is cooked at a low temperature in a casserole dish with a tightly fitting lid, often simply referred to as a casserole, either in the oven or on the hob.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:13 PM   #66
Sous Chef
This one is really quite like the stuffed cabbage casserole above… with the added indulgence of cheese – and various things to make it hot and spicy.
Cajun Cabbage
1 pound ground beef
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
10 ounces diced tomatoes and green chilies (use the hot variety of “RoTel” if you really want it fiery)
8 ounces tomato sauce
1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 drops hot sauce
1 small head cabbage, chopped
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
In a skillet, cook the beef, green pepper, onion and garlic until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, rice and seasonings. Spread into an ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Top with the cabbage and cheese. Cover and bake at 350º for 65 to 75 minutes or until the rice is tender.
SharonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:13 AM   #67
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by mish
I couldn't resist.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good one Mish!
#1 Rule for Dieting.....If it "Tastes Good"...Spit-it-OUT!!
TexasTamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:48 PM   #68
Senior Cook
I've never really gotten into making casseroles. Though I love baked ziti and shepard's pie. Could chicken pot pie be considered a casserole? If it is, then I love that one too. When I was pregnant with my son, I ate chicken pot pies everyday for two months straight!

I will be trying some of the recipes posted here, thanks!
Flourgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:04 PM   #69
Executive Chef
One of my favorites is the broccoli and cheese casserole. I use frozen broccoli bits, but don't cook them before so it is still a bit crunchy. It does contain soup, but I consider one can of soup in a casserole of that size isn't too much. I don't add salt to the rice or broccoli and use sharp cheddar cheese. We like it leftover for lunch with sliced tomatoes.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:21 PM   #70
Sous Chef
While I'm definitely not a fan of "can of cream" soups, processed cheese products, canned vegetables, or frozen potato items (don't like the texture or the saltiness), I do love casseroles.

One of my favorites is a simple but really tasty macaroni and cheese that is basically a white sauce with good Cheddar. I also love tamale pie, other Mexican dishes, lots of pasta casseroles, and just about anything with high-quality ingredients and lots of flavor.

suzyQ3 is offline   Reply With Quote