Whats Your Favorite Casserole?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimbaby

Executive Chef
ANOTHER QUESTION...
just wanting to know what kinda casserole is your most favoritte of all?
MINE of course would be tater tot casserole.... :chef:

My all time favorite is a cheesy chicken casserole my mom made. I think I've put the recipe in a couple places here. In a nutshell layer boneless cooked chicken, swiss cheese, cream of chicken soup, and prepared stuffing (in that order) and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. :chef:

Though I like tater tot casserole, shepherd's pie, and the list can go on . . . . :LOL:

I love all casseroles - but my favorites would have to be potato-cheese with crunchy topping, broccoli-cheese with cracker topping, and breakfast caserole with sausage, potatoes, eggs and of course, cheese! i don't think i have ever had tator tot casserole - I'm sure I would love it, if you have time to share the recipe I would appreciate it!

here ya go:
TATER TOT CASSEROLE
WHAT YOU NEED
1 1/2 lbs. cooked hamburger
2 cans cambell's cream of mushroom soup
1 can green beans drained
1 package tater tots
2cups cheddar cheese
WHAT TO DO:
combine hamburger,soup,green beans in a 13x9 inch
baking dish,layer with tater tots,top with cheddar cheese
bake in a 450 degree pre heated oven for about 30-40 minutes or until
bubbly.

Last edited:
I guess it all depends upon the mood I am in and how one wishes to define a casserole.

Consider baked ziti a casserole and would probably put that as #1 most days, although we use the spirals instead of the ziti, so I guess it is baked rotini.

Always add tons of cheese, mushrooms, and roasted Italian sausage, and it is so good.

But pork chops with saurkraut or lima beans sounds really fine right now.

Make a chili dog casserole to die for, that we have not tried in a while.

Love scalloped potatoes with Parmesan cheese.

Can make a great potato casserole with cheese and ham.

The bottom line is I don't know if I have a favorite.

I think most casseroles are meant to be made without a recipe.

They are the cooks' palette, a chance to just create a delicious, and fun, meal.

Sorry to be waxing about the casserole, but there is little more fun than going into the kitchen and making one.

God bless.

I'm not a huge fan of casseroles. :angel: I think the biggest thing causing that is my adversion to cans of "cream of" anything soup. :sick: And then add to it that the majority of them call for hamburger / sausage, and, well, I just don't either of those things. =)

:heart:
Z

We don't eat a lot of casseroles... but
we do like the stuffed cabbage casserole that we're having
for dinner.

Zereh, the definition of casserole is cooking foods you like together in one dish. It doesn't have to involve "cream of" soups, sausage or hamburger.

My grandmother made wonderful scalloped potatoes. She started with her own homemade cream sauce (which is no big deal to make). Butter a casserole dish, and single layer thinly sliced potatoes on the bottom. Top with S&P, finely diced onions, and a scoop of cream sauce. Repeat layers until dish is within 3/4" from the top. Place on foil covered baking sheet to catch drips, cover with lid, and bake in 350 degree oven about 45 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Remove lid, top with cheese of your choice, turn heat up to 400, and let the dish brown until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Excellent additions to this dish are: small pieces of ham; cooked and crumbled bacon, fresh chopped parsley, pimentoes, broccoli florets, asparagus tips, frozen peas, chopped green onion tops...a good combination is chopped cooked chicken, peas, carrots, and mushrooms.

Kimbaby, I have a whole different Tator Tot Casserole, but I think you'll like it:

Tator Tot Casserole

2 eggs
1 cup milk
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup ham, choped
1 lb. tator tots, thawed
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper

Topping:
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup cooked crumbled bacon

Mix first 7 ingredients together. Put in buttered baking dish. Sprinkle with topping. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

I serve it with catsup on the side, forgive me for being so plebian.

Last edited:
We love casseroles..DH really likes the corn casserole I have posted here before. (as a side dish)

pdswife said:
We don't eat a lot of casseroles... but
we do like the stuffed cabbage casserole that we're having
for dinner.
hmmm I what to know more, how do you make it?
sounds like my kinda food...:chef:

I love all kinds of casseroles; always have. Hubby isn't too keen on them but he will eat them anyway.

kimbaby said:
hmmm I what to know more, how do you make it?
sounds like my kinda food...:chef:

1lb hamburger
1 large sweet onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3/4 cups raw rice ( I use a little less)
1 small head cabbage, chopped
1 can tomato soup plus 1/2 can water
1 15 oz can tomato sauce

Saute hamburger and onions and garlic
Drain.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Mix the rest of the list together. The rice cooks in the oven.
Add the meat. Pace in a baking dish and bake for 1 1/2 hour 350 degrees.
until most of the liquid is gone.

We love a recipe called Pacific Pie, which has fish and shrimp as the meat! Very yummy!

I like the looks of that tater tot dish! I think my kids would really like it!

My husband is grateful for anything I cook. He knows what an effort it is for me.

HB is on second shift, which means we have our big meal at noon.

Last night, while he was working, I made spaghetti sauce out of the frozen, roasted tomato sauce I made last summer from my own, homegrown Roma tomatoes. Last night, I cooked a mix of 1/3 Sweet Italian venison sausage (still spicy), and 2/3 ground chuck. After draining the meat, I mixed it up with the frozen sauce, a can of drained mushrooms, a little can of drained,sliced black olives, adjusted the seasoning, and put in the fridge for the night.
Today, Kim helped me heat up and re-season the sauce again, and get the spaghetti cooked. The pasta went into the sauce, got heated some more, then topped with parmesan cheee.
Kim also made some very good garlic/herb/parmesan bread to soak up the sauce.

It was very good. I'll bet it will be even better tomorrow.

I love casseroles! Mom always made great ones, but after I married, my h specifically told me he hated them (except lasagna). I'm guessing it's because his mom and Grandma never made them, so he wasn't used to them. For the last couple of years, I've tried to make at least one or two each week, and he likes them... a lot! My kids like them at dinnertime, but love the leftovers for a quick breakfast.
One I really like:

My Mexican Casserole

1-1/2 lb ground beef, cooked with taco seasoning
4 green onions, sliced (I use kitchen shears)
2 cans chopped tomatoes, not drained
1 small can green chiles, diced
shredded cheese (best to use the white quick-melting mexican cheese)
jalepenos (opt)
1 can of corn, drained
1 small can black olives, sliced
1 can kidney beans, not drained
1 lb. pasta (penne works well), cooked
(If you need more liquid, use beef broth, chicken broth, or whatever you have on hand)
mix all together and put into a large greased pyrex dish (16" is good).
Bake at 350 till it looks done, top with shredded cheeses (monterey jack, pepper jack, sharp cheddar) and bake till cheese is melted. Top each serving with a dollop of sour cream and some avocado slices. You can even put a cilantro leaf or two on top.

Back
Top Bottom