Yellow Rice And Shrimp Casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
YELLOW RICE AND SHRIMP CASSEROLE

1/2 cup Olive oil
1 small Onion; chopped
1 small Green pepper; chopped
1 Garlic clove; minced
1 Parsley sprig
1 large Ripe tomato peeled, seeded and chopped
1 Bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon Cumin
1/4 teaspoon Thyme
1 pinch Saffron; toasted
1 pound Shrimp, raw shelled, deveined
1 cup Hot water
1/4 cup Dry white wine
1 tablespoon Lemon juice
1 tablespoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Hot sauce
2 cups Long grain white rice
2 1/2 cups Water
1/2 cup Beer
Cooked peas
Pimiento strips
Parsley bouquets

Use a 3 quart casserole with lid. An earthenware casserole is preferable, especially if you wish
to add a touch of Spain to a dinner party. However, I know that good earthenware is hard to find
today. I have 2 casseroles that I've had for 15 years. Heat oil in casserole. Saute onion and pepper
until transparent. Add garlic, parsley, tomato, bay leaf, nutmeg, cumin and thyme. Mix well,
cover, and cook over low heat until mushy (about 15 minutes). The saffron should be toasting on
the lid in the little brown paper. Add the shrimp to the saute and cook until it turns pink. Dissolve
the saffron in the 1 cup hot water. Combine with wine, lemon juice, salt and hot sauce. Pour into
casserole, stir to mix, and cook covered 10 minutes more. Now add the rice and the 2 1/2 cups of
water. Distribute ingredients well in casserole. Bring to a quick boil, STIR ONCE, and place in
preheated 325 degree F. oven for only 20 minutes NI UN MINUTO MAS! Remove from oven,
uncover, and garnish with peas, pimientos, and parsley. Pour beer over all. Cover again and
allow to stand 15 minutes longer, before serving.

Back
Top Bottom