"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 11-03-2005, 08:21 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Alternative to Crockpot / Slowcooker

Hi Guys!

I was wondering if anyone knew of an alternative to a slow cooker? I recieved a recipe from my grandmother that indicates using a crockpot but I don't have one (nor the money to buy one).

Anyone have any idea? Thanks for your help!

Old 11-03-2005, 08:26 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
What sort of recipe is it Christine? Most crock pot recipes can easily be made on stove top or in the oven

Welcome to DC Christine!!!

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 08:31 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Hi Piccolina! Thanks for your reply. It's an Roast Beef recipe that she brought over from Italy... calls for 6 hours in the slow cooker and then it's sliced and put in the oven for another 3 hours or so...... you don't even need a knife to cut it by the end of it. Hmmm.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:40 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Hi Christine, that does sound wonderful! My DH is Italian (born and breed, with the eating habbits to attest to this fact ) and would surely love that recipe! I'd venture to say that if you have the time (I can never bring myself to leave the house with anything in or on the stove) you could cook it as a beef pot roast. I would sear the beef first and than simmer in in a large pot (with a lid) on the back of the stove for hours (covered), basting it from time to time to keep the meat moist and juicy. I have a to-die-for pork recipe that calls for 12-24 hours in a very low oven, and it turns out so tender you'd think you were eating cotton, but I've never tried doing beef quite like that (I wonder if others have).

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Old 11-03-2005, 08:51 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

That sounds like the best bet. Thanks Jessica. Unfortunately I'm at work so I don't have the recipe here but I'll post it tomorrow when I have a moment for sure - although just to forwarn you there are no exact mesurments because Nona's been eyeballing it for years
Thanks again for your help!
Old 11-03-2005, 08:53 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Are these recipes posted anywhere?
Old 11-03-2005, 08:53 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine79
although just to forwarn you there are no exact mesurments because Nona's been eyeballing it for years
Thanks again for your help!
No worries, I don't measure much outside of the baking realm (what a rebel I am - lol ). Don't mention it at all, Christine, we've all here to help. Looking forward to Nona's recipe!

Old 11-03-2005, 08:59 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

I was just going to post the recipe on this same thread....although if there's another place to put recipes please let me know. This is my first time to this website so I'm not too sure at all.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:01 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
I was just going to post the recipe on this same thread....although if there's another place to put recipes please let me know. This is my first time to this website so I'm not too sure at all.
You could post it here, or you could post it under the beef section (under the meat area)

Old 02-11-2006, 10:43 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Hi Guys!

I was wondering if anyone knew of an alternative to a slow cooker? I recieved a recipe from my grandmother that indicates using a crockpot but I don't have one (nor the money to buy one).

Anyone have any idea? Thanks for your help!

If you have a Nesco electric roaster I know for sure that it has a low temperature (slow cooking) control. You can use this roaster for normal roaster or slow roasting. Rival and Hamilton Beach also have electric roasters in the 18 qt size but I don't know what their temperature gages are.

Did you know that you can get a basic Rival crockpot for as little as $18 (maybe ever less). This time of year, most department stores have their Home Sales and crockpots are getting very popular again. Check Amazon.com too because they always have great sales and if you spend $25 you get free shipping.

Check your cookware. If you already have a heavy bottomed dutch oven, you can also slow cook in that.

Happy Slow Cooking!

Tags
None