Beef Potatoes and Gravy (Slow Cooker)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ol-blue

Sous Chef
Don't forget to use the Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners. This will make this and extra easy meal.
Enjoy! Debbie

Beef Potatoes And Gravy (Slow Cooker)

img_478427_0_f67438782e79d5b935c7c2db2b4a5a74.jpg

4 BEEF CUBE STEAK; Browned.
5 medium (4 cups) POTATOES; Peeled And Sliced.
2 package(s) (0.87 ounce each) BROWN GRAVY MIX
ONION; Chopped, To Taste.
SALT; To Taste.
BLACK PEPPER; To Taste.
_____

In a skillet with a little oil, brown beef on both sides seasoning beef with salt and pepper to taste.
Remove beef to a plate and set aside.
In skillet that you used to brown beef; add 2 cups water and both gravy mix, stir well.
Bring to a boil stirring constanly,remove from heat.
Place one layer of meat in slow cooker, sprinkle with some onion.
Place some potatoes on top of the meat.
Pour some gravy over potatoes and repeat with another layer of meat, onions, potatoes and gravy.
Make sure your top layer of potatoes are coated with some gravy.
Cover and cook on low for about 6 hours.

elaine I, Thanks, hope you enjoy. Debbie

Constance, Thanks. My family sure liked this dish. I'm glad you like my dinnerware. I started using them when I decided to take pictures for my cookbook a while ago. I liked them so much I continued to use them.

Wow that looks good! I've added this to my "to try" list, and it is at the top!

One question though, where in the world did you get cube steaks that thick? The last time I bought "cube steaks" from a meat house, I ended up with "stitch steak". The machine they use to make cube steaks (typically out of a large slice of round) can be fitted with a special blade that will allow you to feed the machine many bits of scrap meat. It presses and tenderizes the meat in two passes, and the action will actually meld all the little pieces together into one large patty/steak. It looks great in the wrapper, but when you go to pick it up, the darn thing falls apart. Still tender and flavorful, but a real pain to cook.

Still, I’ve never seen cubed steak that thick before. Were they special ordered?

Last edited:
Recipe sounds like a comfort meal - thanks for sharing, but I am with Keltin - where did you get cube steak that thick? Must try though !

Those do look delish. We can get cube steaks like the ones in Ol-blue's pic at our area Kroger and Wal-Mart. Nice and thick and yummy.

Thanks Katie, I’ll check Kroeger this weekend. I just recently started shopping there again (and my card still works!). I’m actually surprised that their prices have lowered a bit since last I was there a few years backs.

Well, lower prices on everything except meat. Then again, Kroeger has always had an exceptional meat counter, and they even carry hard to find items like tri-tip and bison (at least they are hard to find in my area).

During the past 2-3 weeks, I’ve been shopping Kroeger exclusively, and for most things, they are comparable to Wal-Mart except the quality is much better. I’ve been buying baby bella mushrooms for 1.50 per 8oz pack, a real steal. And their produce is amazing for it to be a chain store.

Yes, keltin, we love our Kroger stores. I especially like a cut they call "English roast." It's wonderful for all sorts of things. When it's on sale here, it's about $1.78/pound and I use it for "roast in foil," which you already know about or cut it into stew chunks, all sorts of other beefy ways.

Uncle Bob, I'm not sure what kind of corn it is. I did get it at a local farm and I didn't check out the name.

Keltin and Barb L, I buy my cube steaks at Albertsons. They are real nice.

Thanks for helping Katie E.

Ol-Blue said:
Uncle Bob, I'm not sure what kind of corn it is. I did get it at a local farm and I didn't check out the name.

Not a problem,,,I used to grow a bi-color corn called G-90. It was a sweet corn that was delicious. I stopped growing it a while back. I got tired of fighting the coons for it. They can smell it from 5 miles I think! In two or three nights those masked bandits could destroy a good size corn patch.

Uncle Bob, All I can say is, the corn was good. Those darn coons can be a problem. I have a pond with gold fish and they are always trying to get my fish.

Oooh... Think I'm gonna try this.

One fillip I'm gonna add... instead of simply slicing the potatoes I'm gonna crinkle cut em usin the Wavy blade on my mandolln (same one you'd use if you were trying for waffle fries). That should allow em to hang on to gravy even better, as well as being an asthetic improvement (straight up slices of potato are so... circular and flat...).

Geez, here's another post I missed the first time around.
Thanks for finding this VT. This is yet another one of Debbie's recipe's that got printed.

And I've never seen cube steaks that big at the wally world where I live.... those look like thick salisbury steaks. The ones here are like what Keltin described, but they come out very tough. And no Krogers either....

VaporTrail, The crinkle cut potatoes would be a very nice touch. I really like that idea. Debbie

pacanis, Thanks. I get my cube steaks at Albertsons and Fred Meyers. Debbie

Back
Top Bottom