"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2018, 08:37 PM   #11
Master Chef

I love homemade stew, and I love sweet potatoes/yams. Sweet potatoes have a strong flavor, so I wouldn't include them in a beef stew - but that is JMO.

Like others have said, I add white potatoes (russets, red skinned, or Yukon...whatever I've got), towards the end of cooking time so they don't get all mushy.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:11 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Lol.
The moustache is all wrong, but the pink ears and attitude are spot on.

Seriously, though, I've never heard the term Irish potato.

Like snakes, there is no indigenous tuber. Just wondering about the etymology/regional dialogue of the term.
You don't live in the South, where my name is eye-taal-yan. My ex-FIL used to use the eye-taal-yan pronunciation around me all the time. My wife would apologize, but it didn't bother me.

In the deep South, and Irish potato is a white potato. I don't hear that one very often, but I have heard it.

CD

Old 01-29-2018, 09:15 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I love homemade stew, and I love sweet potatoes/yams. Sweet potatoes have a strong flavor, so I wouldn't include them in a beef stew - but that is JMO.

Like others have said, I add white potatoes (russets, red skinned, or Yukon...whatever I've got), towards the end of cooking time so they don't get all mushy.
Yeah, I can't imagine sweet potatoes in a stew.

As far as white potatoes, the waxier potatoes hold up better in longer cooks. I don't use russets in a stew, even if I'm using a recipe that calls for it.

CD
Old 01-29-2018, 09:25 PM   #14
Sous Chef

I just cut up russet or other white potato types like yukon gold into smallish chunks, and they get fully softened up and ready to eat after 8 to 10 hours in the crockpot and not mushy. I'm not a fan of sweet taters.

I put a stew together just today matter of fact before I left for work. I cut the stew meat up into small cubes then put them in a bowl of flour with salt/pepper. Then I seared them in a pan with some oil, then I deglazed the pan with a little water to get the tasty bits off.

I added carrots, taters, onion, corn, peas, green beans, tomato juice/sauce, packet of stew seasoning.
jd_1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:58 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
What's an Irish potato?
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
You don't live in the South...In the deep South, an Irish potato is a white potato...
The "Irish" refers to white potatoes, which were infected with blight and affected the Irish during a famine time.

They are called Irish potatoes for the simple reason that they were the main type grown in Ireland in the early 1800s, and are forever associated with The Great Irish Famine, one of the worst agricultural, social, and cultural disasters of the time.

Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table. ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:06 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Interesting stuff.

Although the famine had a lot more to do with monoculture (thereby the apparent colloquialism, I suppose), and politics.

Plus, the blight didn't affect the entire country, as it's thought. But that's another story.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:46 AM   #17
Master Chef

When I make stew I leave the potatoes out and serve the stew over mashed potatoes.

I use this old oven beef stew recipe adapted from a recipe on the back of a Campbell's soup can.

1 can of condensed cream of tomato soup
1 pound cubes of stew beef
2 or 3 onions cut into quarters or eighths
3 or 4 carrots cut into chunks
salt and pepper to taste
1or 2 bay leaves
1/4 t celery seeds
a good shot of Worcestershire sauce

Put everything into a covered casserole and place in a 350 degree oven for an hour to an hour and a half. You can add cut up potatoes to this but, I prefer to have mashed potatoes as a side dish. With this you do not need to brown the beef or dilute the soup. I usually buy a small round steak or chuck steak and cut it up myself instead of using stew beef. It is also a good way to use venison.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:52 AM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
When I make stew I leave the potatoes out and serve the stew over mashed potatoes...
I do the same thing with stew and pot roasts.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:59 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Made a Power Cooker stew last night...

Browned the meat, set aside, sweated onion and garlic, put the meat back in, added liquids and pressure cooked 20 minutes.. Added potatoes, more onion, carrots and celery and pressure cooked an additional 15 minutes.. Thicken the gravy and served..

Less than an hour including prep and was as good a stew I'd ever made.. Veggies were perfect..

I'm becoming a big fan of instant pot pressure cooking...

Ross

Tags
beef, stew