"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 08-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #31
Cupcake

I once used mine all of the time, but there are some things I simply love to make in them.

Kielbasa with sauerkraut
Stuffed Cabbages
Beef Stew (I do pre-brown the meat)
Pot Roasts (Also I pre-brown the meat in this too.)

Old 08-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #32
Assistant Cook

Thanks for all the advice. I checked out the ATK website and their #1 pick seems to be the Crock-Pot Touchscreen ($84.78 on Amazon). I've also read good things about the Hamilton Beach 33967 Set N' Forget ($49.00 on Amazon). Either this website or another one mentioned using a timer that plugs into the electrical outlet that can be used to start the slow cooker after a certain period of time if my 12 hours out of the house is too much cooking time. I can see the danger in having meat sit for hours without cooking, but it seems that vegetables/beans would be safe. Anybody have experience with either of these slow cookers and/or the timer method? and thanks to Kathleen, now I'm hungry for kielbasa and sauerkraut...

Old 08-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #33
Cupcake

Thanks! It's a meal that yields a lot of patience should dinner run late.

If you often are out of the house for more than 12 hours, some slow-cookers can be programmed to switch to a warming cycle.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

You should be able to download the manuals to the slow cookers you are considering. That way, you can read about the features, care, safety warnings, etc., for each before you purchase one. Wish I'd done that for the FP I bought--it is recommended to wash the non-metal parts by hand. Once I find the receipt--it is going back.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #35
Executive Chef

An additional bit of advice: For every product you purchase that has an owner's manual that is non-trivial, see if you can download a PDF of same. I do that with all my major stuff and keep all the PDFs together in one folder. Then whenever I need to know something I can just get it off my computer instead of hunting down the manual.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

I decided to purchase the Hamilton Beach 33967 Set N' Forget. Now I just need to start building a list of recipes that I want to use.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I really like "Fix It and Forget It Cookbook". It's a nice basic CP book, and pretty cheap. I think they've even come out with a revision lately.

Congrats on your purchase! You will love it!
Old 06-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #38
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Welcome to DC! Did you check America's Test Kitchen site?

America's Test KitchenEquipment Reviews

Not sure which season it is from, if it is 2012, it should be free. I have access because I have an account.

The highly recommended one was the Crockpot Touchscreen. You can set it for up to 20 hours.
I think it means this model:
Rival Crock-Pot SCVT650-PS

"Americanís Test Kitchen for best in overall best value and performance."
Old 08-15-2016, 08:19 AM   #39
Head Chef

I ended up getting the Cuisinart MSC-400C. It is pricey but shop around and you can save a bit plus I got free shipping. It has all the bells & whistles which helped me decide.

I like to sear in it and it does a good job. One less pot to clean.
I have also thrown my meat still partially frozen in.
All settings automatically go to "warm" when the time is up - and it does keep it a good serving hot temp.
I have not yet used the "steam" nor done rice in it yet but imagine I will one day.
I want to try...
- make a meal, stew or some such, freeze it, then throw it in the cooker to defrost and heat. If that works - what a boon for people who are out of the house nearly 12 hours. as this "warm" setting default is 8 hours.
I'm thinking of both my sons, they leave the house around 6 and get home around 6... with kids who are ready to eat right then and there!
Old 08-15-2016, 07:38 PM   #40
Sous Chef

Mine is a Hamilton Beach basic crock pot. It has off, warm, low, and high for settings. I got it for $10 on sale from somewhere, I forget where. I like simple stuff. I'm still looking for a very simple microwave with a handle (not a button) and a dial on it instead of a freaking library. I don't need a popcorn button. All I do is just twist the dial and wait there till it finishes popping. LOL

Anyway, I use my crock pot to make roasts, refried beans, split pea soup, ribs, whole chicken, potato soup, and recently I threw some steak in for a sort of stew. Boy, did that come out tender!

I almost got 2 more crock pots once, a 1 quart and a 6 quart. Since I cook for one person, my roasts need a smaller crock pot than 3 1/2 quarts, and the potato soup and whole chicken need a larger one. One of these days, when I have more room. *sigh*

Tags
None