Buying 1st Slow Cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SlowNewbie

Assistant Cook
Normally I look at Consumer Reports before buying items, but I can't seem to find their reviews on slow cookers. Can anyone provide the most recent CR recommendations? I'm also interested in your recommendations. Here's some info that may be helpful: I'm single, so I don't need to cook massive dishes. I typically leave the house for work and do not return until 12 hours later. I'm looking for one that I can start before I depart, have it cook the food and then shift to warming mode until I return. If that will overcook things, are there cookers that can be set to start/stop with a timer?

take your time. this is a big decision, so you don't to rush things. slow and steady is the way to go.

now, if you were buying a microwave, well, get the first one you see on sale! don't delay. get it now no matter what ypu have to do. it should only take a minute to decide on which one.

but this is a slow cooker, so remember, fools rush in where wise men fear to tread. you may want to sleep on it.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
take your time. this is a big decision, so you don't to rush things. slow and steady is the way to go.
Come on, it's a crock pot! They retail for about $20-$40 or whatever you want to spend. Or buy at a garage/yard sale for about $6-$10.

I'm not all that comfortable abandoning an appliance to cook for 12 hours on its own.

Hey, BT. When are you getting that tortoise you were planning to buy last year?

Got any slow cooker tortoise recipes? Maybe a non-mock turtle stew? :)

Come on, it's a crock pot! They retail for about $20-$40 or whatever you want to spend. Or buy at a garage/yard sale for about $6-$10.

I'm not all that comfortable abandoning an appliance to cook for 12 hours on its own.

Got any slow cooker tortoise recipes? Maybe a non-mock turtle stew? :)
Greg--I'm with you there re: leaving an appliance cooking unattended for 12 hours. I wouldn't leave a pan on the stove during that time. I believe that an argument can be made to buy a more expensive brand than what one finds at big box stores. I have several--all vintage. I don't leave them "home alone." Rival used to be manufactured in the US. Now you have to ask which of their products are still manufactured in the US. If I were going to use one every day, I'd probably feel better about putting it on a timer and running it an outbuilding <g>. However, I would be looking for one that has good safety reviews and ratings. And, for that, one might have to move up in the price range.

Nesco roaster. :) You can adjust the temps to anything from slow simmer to high heat roast. It's a multi-tasker. The newer 'crockpots' pretty much have low or high settings, and the lowest setting is now way too high for 'slow' cooking.

They are not that much more $ than a crockpot, maybe $50. And you can get a lot more ways to use them. :chef::)

Cheryl J said:
Nesco roaster. :) You can adjust the temps to anything from slow simmer to high heat roast. It's a multi-tasker. The newer 'crockpots' pretty much have low or high settings, and the lowest setting is now way too high for 'slow' cooking.

They are not that much more $ than a crockpot, maybe $50. And you can get a lot more ways to use them. :chef::)

+1 on the Nesco. It's a whole kitchen in one appliance! You can even use it for canning.

Last edited:
I have never had much faith in Consumer Reports. When I have had expert knowledge of a product, I have too often found them to be plain wrong. And America's Test Kitchen often won't reveal who came out on top unless you buy a subscription to the site.

But whether you buy locally or on line, consider reading the user reviews on Amazon. When there are more than a few reviews, they can often reveal any annoying traits. Filter out the reviewers who are cranks or complain that the $10 product doesn't perform like the $100 version. Look for consistent reports. If ten reviewers out fifty talk about knobs that cracked or fell off, it's a pretty good indication that there's a design flaw.

Greg--I'm with you there re: leaving an appliance cooking unattended for 12 hours. I wouldn't leave a pan on the stove during that time. I believe that an argument can be made to buy a more expensive brand than what one finds at big box stores. I have several--all vintage. I don't leave them "home alone."...

One of the benefits of me not being amongst America's employed. I never have to leave my food home alone.

i bought the jackrabbit on a whim so i haven't had time.

Crock pot rabbit sounds good! :)

Nesco roaster. :) You can adjust the temps to anything from slow simmer to high heat roast...

Could you define slow simmer? ;) Never mind, I was just kidding about another topic.... :LOL:

I have never had much faith in Consumer Reports. When I have had expert knowledge of a product, I have too often found them to be plain wrong. And America's Test Kitchen often won't reveal who came out on top unless you buy a subscription to the site.

Actually ATK does reveal, but only if you see the episode on air, or IIRC you can watch the episode online if it's the current season. Previous seasons, you gotta pay if you wanna play.

I just checked my library and not only do they have most of the ATK cookbooks but they've got seasons 8-10 on DVD, and I didn't check probably all the previous seasons too. Not sure what season they're in now, 11? I like the library to check out stuff before buying, already got one of the ATK cookbooks and very pleased with it.

So it sounds like my work schedule won't work with a slow cooker, other than using a slow cooker on the weekend when I can be home to monitor it.

No...it is just that with any appliance, you want to make sure you get one that has a high safety rating and decide if you are comfortable leaving the unit plugged in for 12 hours while you are at work. Crock pots originally heated from around the ceramic insert. I think many now heat from the bottom. The ones that heat from around are considered safer.

Have you checked for information re: NESCO? I have heard it is considered one of the safer slow cooking devices. (Crock-Pot is trademarked, every other company's version of the same has to be called a slow cooker).

I've never had any problem leaving my CPs on while I'm at work. CWS is right, check out the safety ratings.

The Nesco, in addition to being a CP, is also a roaster, oven, steamer, with a big temperature range.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom