"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 08-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Buying 1st Slow Cooker

Normally I look at Consumer Reports before buying items, but I can't seem to find their reviews on slow cookers. Can anyone provide the most recent CR recommendations? I'm also interested in your recommendations. Here's some info that may be helpful: I'm single, so I don't need to cook massive dishes. I typically leave the house for work and do not return until 12 hours later. I'm looking for one that I can start before I depart, have it cook the food and then shift to warming mode until I return. If that will overcook things, are there cookers that can be set to start/stop with a timer?

Old 08-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC! Did you check America's Test Kitchen site?

America's Test KitchenEquipment Reviews

Not sure which season it is from, if it is 2012, it should be free. I have access because I have an account.

The highly recommended one was the Crockpot Touchscreen. You can set it for up to 20 hours.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

take your time. this is a big decision, so you don't to rush things. slow and steady is the way to go.

now, if you were buying a microwave, well, get the first one you see on sale! don't delay. get it now no matter what ypu have to do. it should only take a minute to decide on which one.

but this is a slow cooker, so remember, fools rush in where wise men fear to tread. you may want to sleep on it.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Hey, BT. When are you getting that tortoise you were planning to buy last year?
Old 08-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
take your time. this is a big decision, so you don't to rush things. slow and steady is the way to go.
Come on, it's a crock pot! They retail for about $20-$40 or whatever you want to spend. Or buy at a garage/yard sale for about $6-$10.

I'm not all that comfortable abandoning an appliance to cook for 12 hours on its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Hey, BT. When are you getting that tortoise you were planning to buy last year?
Got any slow cooker tortoise recipes? Maybe a non-mock turtle stew?
Old 08-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Come on, it's a crock pot! They retail for about $20-$40 or whatever you want to spend. Or buy at a garage/yard sale for about $6-$10.

I'm not all that comfortable abandoning an appliance to cook for 12 hours on its own.

Got any slow cooker tortoise recipes? Maybe a non-mock turtle stew?
Greg--I'm with you there re: leaving an appliance cooking unattended for 12 hours. I wouldn't leave a pan on the stove during that time. I believe that an argument can be made to buy a more expensive brand than what one finds at big box stores. I have several--all vintage. I don't leave them "home alone." Rival used to be manufactured in the US. Now you have to ask which of their products are still manufactured in the US. If I were going to use one every day, I'd probably feel better about putting it on a timer and running it an outbuilding <g>. However, I would be looking for one that has good safety reviews and ratings. And, for that, one might have to move up in the price range.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, andy.

i bought the jackrabbit on a whim so i haven't had time.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #8
Master Chef

Nesco roaster. You can adjust the temps to anything from slow simmer to high heat roast. It's a multi-tasker. The newer 'crockpots' pretty much have low or high settings, and the lowest setting is now way too high for 'slow' cooking.

They are not that much more $ than a crockpot, maybe $50. And you can get a lot more ways to use them.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J
Nesco roaster. You can adjust the temps to anything from slow simmer to high heat roast. It's a multi-tasker. The newer 'crockpots' pretty much have low or high settings, and the lowest setting is now way too high for 'slow' cooking.

They are not that much more $ than a crockpot, maybe $50. And you can get a lot more ways to use them.
+1 on the Nesco. It's a whole kitchen in one appliance! You can even use it for canning.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
Head Chef

I have never had much faith in Consumer Reports. When I have had expert knowledge of a product, I have too often found them to be plain wrong. And America's Test Kitchen often won't reveal who came out on top unless you buy a subscription to the site.

But whether you buy locally or on line, consider reading the user reviews on Amazon. When there are more than a few reviews, they can often reveal any annoying traits. Filter out the reviewers who are cranks or complain that the $10 product doesn't perform like the $100 version. Look for consistent reports. If ten reviewers out fifty talk about knobs that cracked or fell off, it's a pretty good indication that there's a design flaw.

Tags
None