Cooking pasta in slowcooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThirteenPrimes

Assistant Cook
I've searched all over, and every recipe that involves pasta says to pre-boil it. I realize that this is because leaving the pasta in all day like everything makes it too mushy and it just doesn't work, but I'm in college. I don't have a stove to cook my pasta; all I've got is a crock pot and a microwave, and I want to avoid cooking pasta in the microwave as much as possible. As a general rule, the microwave is my roommates and the crock-pot is mine.
I don't care if I have to put it in alone with the water, cook it separately from everything else, I don't care. I imagine putting it on for a short time on high or something would work fine, but I can't find anywhere that tells me how it's even remotely possible. And, once again, I'm a college student. I don't have enough money to waste on trial and error.
Thanks.

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking :)

I think the reason you can't find information on how to do that is because it doesn't work well. A slow cooker isn't designed to cook in the way that pasta has to be cooked.

I would suggest that you get a rice cooker. You can cook rice, pasta and lots of other foods in a rice cooker, so it's much more versatile, and you can get a basic one for about $20. You can probably find one for less at a thrift shop.

Good luck.

Edited to add: I should have checked before responding. I've never done that because we weren't allowed to cook in our dorm rooms when I was in college :LOL: It turns out you *can* make pasta dishes in a slow cooker: http://www.bettycrocker.com/menus-h...everyday-meals/best-slow-cooker-pasta-recipes

I haven't looked at these recipes, but Betty Crocker is pretty reliable. If you need help simplifying any of these, just ask and I'm sure someone can help.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom