"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 10-10-2006, 11:43 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

It seems to only happen when I cook whole meals. I have noticed it in every crock-pot I have ever used. Im sure it isnít soap or absorbed flavor in the pot itself. I have made enough oven pot roasts to know what I used will taste good. imp thinking that maybe the flavors blend differently than in the oven. I know there is more food contact and higher or taller water content. This has to let the flavors move more freely.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:56 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglelox
It seems to only happen when I cook whole meals. I have noticed it in every crock-pot I have ever used. Im sure it isn’t soap or absorbed flavor in the pot itself. I have made enough oven pot roasts to know what I used will taste good. imp thinking that maybe the flavors blend differently than in the oven. I know there is more food contact and higher or taller water content. This has to let the flavors move more freely.
You know what, Eaglelox, you might try using one of those Reynold's, I think, crockpot liners and see if you still detect the off flavor. The liners are in the plastic wrap/aluminum foil/waxed paper section of the grocery store. They're designed to make cleaning up easier. Sort of like a bake-in-the-oven bag type of product but designed to be used in a crockpot.

Old 11-04-2006, 03:24 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglelox
It seems to only happen when I cook whole meals. I have noticed it in every crock-pot I have ever used. Im sure it isnít soap or absorbed flavor in the pot itself. I have made enough oven pot roasts to know what I used will taste good. imp thinking that maybe the flavors blend differently than in the oven. I know there is more food contact and higher or taller water content. This has to let the flavors move more freely.
I'm joining this discussion late after trying to find out if anyone else experienced this. There is definitely an unpleasant aftertaste to foods cooked in my crockpot. I got one to try out and there is this weird flavor as though there was some plastic additive to the food. It was less noticable with beef but was very noticable with vegetable soups and most recently with chicken broth. It's sort of a sicky sweet flavor that hits the back of the tongue. I was wondering if it was coming off of the lid since the crock itself is lined with crockery. Oh well...I won't be exploring this cooking method further.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:00 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

What you might find is that the "funny taste" is the caramalised sugars from the food that is in the pot. I haven't aver tasted andy weird taste and actually find SC food tastier. Veggies will release a lot of liquid which will mix with the other flavours in the pot. Most of my best soups and meals come from my SC.
HTH
Old 01-17-2007, 05:14 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Never had a funny taste either. I wonder what the recipes were like that produced it?
Old 01-24-2007, 12:54 PM   #16
Sous Chef

I am limited in my Crock Pot Cooking. I prefer the oven. I NEVER experienced a different taste because I used the Crock Pot. Now I use my Crock Pot Ceramic insert and a glass top to bake my BREAD. And this works
super.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:58 PM   #17
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to phantomtigger
Well, I haven't noticed anything tasting funny. I've made 2 different recipes in the last couple of weeks, and no funny taste. I made some "fajitas" (they were more like a tomato-y type) and I also made stuffed bell peppers. I thought they tasted great. Just my two-cents worth.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:37 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I use my crock pot often - nothing ever tastes odd - everything is very good!
Old 12-02-2007, 09:08 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

Agree about the off taste

I totally agree that there is an off-taste when food is cooked in a crockpot. I've mentioned this before, and I'm surprised that some don't taste it. It's not soap or plastic, and it's not a burnt taste. I think it has something to do with the proteins in the meat and overcooking... maybe?? I don't know, but when I cook chili, spaghetti sauce, or anything like that, it gets that weird taste. I do not get that off taste when I cook something for a long time on the stovetop or in the oven. Needless to say, I'm not a big fan of crockpot cooking.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:22 AM   #20
Head Chef

Although I use my crockpot several times a month, I do notice that certain things do have a different taste. I use the same recipes as I would if not using the crockpot but the taste is there. One thing I know this happens with (and I no longer make it in a crockpot) are ribs or pork. It may be overcooking not sure. Having said that, there are certain recipes that definitely taste better in the slowcooker.

Tags
None