"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 04-10-2007, 05:31 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Cooked this soup up on Sunday, and it was just wonderful! Easy and fun, many thanks!

Old 04-30-2011, 01:19 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm making this tomorrow with my son using the leftover meat and bone from our easter ham. after an adult sweats the veggies, it's a really easy thing for young kids to "cook" since it only involves arranging ingredients in a crock pot and turning it on. the outcome is something of which they can be really proud.

we're going to see my parents on sunday, so i was trying to think of something to bring them in an easter basket. i think they'd love a gift from their 17th and (probably) final grandchild, and they love my pea soup.

i bumped this old thread because i'm printing it out, but also because i wanted to add that i've come to add par boiled, cubed potatoes near the end of the cooking time. dw's mom made it that way, and i like the little extra texture and taste of another starch in it.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:57 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Crock Pot Split Pea Soup with Ham

This is a wonderful recipe that I've made countless times, and shared with my Pea Soup Loving friends! The only adjustment I've made is to brown the hambome before sweating the veggies, as it enhances the flavor. Thanks again, so much, for the wonderful recipe! Regards, DeeElle
Old 04-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm really glad you liked if d-l. it's a big hit here, and the best part is it's so easy to make.

how do you brown the bone? do you roast it? i usually put it in with meat still attached.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Crock Pot Split Pea Soup with Ham

After rendering the first "cracklins" in a large skillet or dutch oven, I place the hambone, with any attached meat, gristle, etc, and brown it on all sides. That takes maybe 8 minutes, then sweat the onions, then maybe render the rest of the cracklins, to sweat the carrots and celery. It adds just a few minutes, but lots of flavor! I like the idea of adding potatoes near the end of cooking. As we're of Irish extraction, there's always room for "praties". Just lately, I realized I could use bouquet garni sacs to contain the rosemary. Not everyone wants rosemary needles in their soup, so I might do that for company. Just the other day I had the opportunity to share a pot with friends, and passed along this excellent recipe to each of them. It will be fun to see if they make any adjustments in process or additions.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
this is the recipe from my first attempt at split pea soup, which got rave reviews at home. it was culled from about a dozen recipes, utilizing a leftover meaty/fatty ham bone.
My hubby has been begging for this kind of soup for a couple of years...lol...I'm terrified I'll screw it up!
Old 05-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Crockpot Pea Soup with Ham

PLease do make this soup! You'll both enjoy it. It's managable to make, fun to eat, and freezes beautifully, and it's really delicious!
Old 05-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrewerd View Post
My hubby has been begging for this kind of soup for a couple of years...lol...I'm terrified I'll screw it up!
It's easy, easy, easy! And the first soup I ever learned to make.

Here is an easy recipe... one of hundreds of variations, but a good one for a beginner:

Easy Split Pea Soup Recipe at Epicurious.com

And in place of the ham hocks, make it simple for yourself and use a smoked ham steak. It's inexpensive and a no-fuss way of getting that smoky ham flavor.

You might also consider adding a bay leaf (and don't forget to take it out before serving), but that's optional.

Have fun... you'll do fine!
Old 05-02-2011, 02:31 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks for the link, selkie. you mean there's more than just my recipe for pea soup?
and who woulda thought of adding bay leaves...

deeelle, i agree about the bouquet garni for the rosemary and bay leaves, i should have added that.
and i love the idea of garnishing with the cracklins, if they ever last that long, lol.
please let me know if your friends make this and any of their modifications. tia.

sfrewerd, this, umm, my recipe is super easy to make, and once again came out "perfect" in my wife's words, and she absolutely loves pea soup. she orders it anywhere it's on the menu, just about.
she was actually a little upset that i brought it all except for a pint or so down to my parents' today when we visited them.

i still have a lot of meat left from the ham and saved the still meaty bone, so i'm making a second batch later today.

since the ham we had this year was very lean, i had no fat to render so i just cooked 2 slices of thick sliced bacon to sweat the onions, and 2 more slices of thick bacon to sweat the onions and carrots.

also, i added about 3 or 4 cups of cubed, par boiled potatoes at the very end.

give it a try; you won't be disappointed.

Tags
None