"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers
Old 03-20-2007, 01:19 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
Crock Pot Split Pea Soup with Ham

this is the recipe from my first attempt at split pea soup, which got rave reviews at home. it was culled from about a dozen recipes, utilizing a leftover meaty/fatty ham bone.

1 large ham bone, leftover from a roast
2+ cups cubed ham, reserved from the roast
1 cup cubed fat, the good white stuff from under the skin of the ham (you can substitute fatty bacon or salt pork)
3 large white onions, diced 1/4"
4 large carrots, diced 1/2"
4 celery stalks, diced 1/4"
4 cans (14 oz.) of chicken stock
4+ cups of water (you can add more to make it thinner later)
2 lbs. green split peas
1 sprig of fresh rosemary, about 5" long
4 bay leaves
white pepper to taste

in a large skillet over medium heat, render the oil from about half of the ham fat until it becomes crisp, remove crisped fat (wrap in paper towel and hide for a treat for yourself when no one's looking), and sweat the onions. when beginning to become translucent, deglaze with a half can of chicken stock, and transfer to crock pot. render the rest of the fat until crisp, hide the rest of the crisped fat in a place that someone who's looking for it will find it, and sweat the celery and carrots a little in the remaining oil, deglaze with the other half of the can of chicken stock, and transfer to crock pot.

while sweating the veggies, pick thru to remove stones and rinse the split peas. add to crock pot, along with the rest of the stock and water. stir the veggies, stock, water, and peas. nestle the ham bone into the peas, as well as the bay leaves and the sprig of rosemary, cut in two.

set the crock pot on high, and don't touch it for about 4 hours. stir in the reserved cubed ham, and let it cook for about a half hour. if it's too thick, add 1/2 cup of water at a time and stir in well to reach the desired consistency.

serve in large bowls, topped with croutons and white pepper to taste.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:54 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Bucky, that recipe sounds heavenly. Split pea soup is one of my absolute favorites. We're having ham for Easter, so I know what's going to happen with the bone, etc. Thanks a million.

"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:03 PM   #3
Sous Chef
That is pretty much my recipe for pea soup. I do it in a big pot and it takes about 2 hours to cook. I also add some thyme, diced potatoes (near the end of cooking) a bunch of parsley and a handful of shredded cabbage if I have it. The latter really is a flavor additive.

I will add a tip which I have mentioned before. You can buy a ham bone at Honey Baked Hams that apparently has a massive amount of meat left on the bone.
Candocook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:19 PM   #4
Executive Chef
thanks for posting bucky, I like to look at maybe 3 or 4 recipes when cooking some dishes. I like the 4 bay leaves

Looks like all the tweaking has been done..

Well, I might add some tomato juice,... just because I have a lot of it.

I have never made a pea/bean soup in the crock pot before.

Great looking recipe...
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:24 PM   #5
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Candocook
I also add some thyme, diced potatoes (near the end of cooking) a bunch of parsley and a handful of shredded cabbage if I have it. The latter really is a flavor additive.
I like a few potatoes in mine, too. But I would never have thought of the cabbage...I'll bet that really IS good!
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:39 PM   #6
Master Chef
Sounds good. i make split pea soup regularly. I do not put celary or bay leaves, but do put potato. But that is my preference. Oh, also I use half and half of green and yelow peas. I like yelow one better.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:18 PM   #7
Cooking Links Contest Winner
Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
so glad you posted this! The one, and only since, time I tried split pea soup was after I found out I was pregnant and went on a serious health kick, but also before I realized I had morning sickness... So, my opinion of split pea soup brings up lots of bittersweet memories! haha! I will definitely have to give it another shot, it is in my recipes collection as "Buckytom's Special Split Pea Soup"!!!
~ Shannon

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:27 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Sounds wonderful! I like the sound of the rosemary.
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:42 PM   #9
Executive Chef
I love split pea soup the rosemary sounds really good to me also, I also love lentil soup the same ingredients will work for this soup , its funny you either love these soups or really hate them.
Did you know that the lentil is the oldest legume known to man?
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:03 AM   #10
Head Chef
This looks great. just printed it and will definitely be making it soon. I think I'd use the "cracklins" for a garnish with the croutons.

I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote