"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 10-03-2007, 11:38 AM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
Your first statement is right. Not everything requires 8 or even 6 hours of cooking. I have a Rival crockpot that I bought about 8 years ago. It cooks slowly and I can cook food in a 6 or 8 hour period with no problem. I bought a new one, just so I could have 2, a couple of months ago. It cooks wayyy too fast. Everything I put into the pot, filling it half or 2/3 full by the way, cooks in 3 to 4 hours.
I contacted Rival and this is what I was told by the customer service rep:
Because people tend to put ice cold food into a crockpot and because the pot brings the temp up very slowly, there was too much danger in food spoiling before it safely reached cooking temperature. Sooooo Rival upped the temperature and the speed with which it reaches that temperature. The temps used to be 250 low, 300 high. Now they're at 300 low and 350 high. Way too high as far as I'm concerned to cook for long periods. The reason people use crockpots is so that thay can go to work or wherever and be gone for 8 and the food is cooked when they get home. If it cooks in less than 4 hours, the crockpot is useless. But you still have to fill the crockpot at least half way up to keep food from burning or cooking too fast. If you have a small family, or usually make a small amount of food, then I would suggest using a 4 qt. pot. THE OWNER'S MANUAL TELLS YOU THIS.
Well,,,, that explains it.. Morons call it a slow cooker and it isn't. Get an electric roaster. You can set its temp where you want it.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:16 PM   #12
Head Chef

Thanks, Drama, for the answer from the horse's mouth!

I wish I hadn't thrown my old crock away when I got my new one. It used to be so wonderful to toss dinner in my old crock, go to work, then come home to a perfectly cooked meal.

I'm bummed that I can't do that anymore.

Lee

Old 10-03-2007, 01:17 PM   #13
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to MsAnya Send a message via MSN to MsAnya Send a message via Yahoo to MsAnya
I have heard a lot of people complaining about how the new Rival crocks cooks way too fast. I'm lucky that mine is still holding up after 6 yrs because I'm dreading getting a new one. You might check ebay for an older crock that doesnt cook as fast if you are needing a true slow cooker :)
Old 10-03-2007, 01:53 PM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post

I wish I hadn't thrown my old crock away when I got my new one. It used to be so wonderful to toss dinner in my old crock, go to work, then come home to a perfectly cooked meal.

Lee
Actually you still can. Simply go to Home Depot or Wal-Mart and get an AC Timer. Plug your crockpot into that, and set the timer to come on 4 hours before you get home.

I used to use one of these timers for a plant light a few years back. The cats eventually decided I didnít need that plant anymore , so Iíve come up with other creative ways to use that timer! Works like a champ!
Old 10-03-2007, 01:53 PM   #15
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
My Krups rice cooker, in additon to it's rice cooking function and steaming function, has a slow cooker function. I can set the time I want the slow cooker to cook the contents, anywhere from 60 minutes to 9 hours, and then it will automatically switch to the "keep warm" setting until I turn it off.

But, I have an original, 30 year old Rival Crock Pot with a removable stoneware crock that takes anywhere from 4 to 12 hours to cook most things, depending on whether I use the LOW, HIGH, or AUTOSHIFT setting, so I've never had the opportunity to use the slow cooker function of my rice cooker.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:08 PM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Great idea Keltin, luckily I have older ones !
Old 10-03-2007, 03:20 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post

Lee
Well, first I get called a moron, then a horse's mouth. Hmmmm.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:22 PM   #18
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Well, first I get called a moron, then a horse's mouth. Hmmmm.
Be glad it wasn't the OTHER end of the horse!
Old 10-03-2007, 03:36 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
Actually you still can. Simply go to Home Depot or Wal-Mart and get an AC Timer. Plug your crockpot into that, and set the timer to come on 4 hours before you get home.

I used to use one of these timers for a plant light a few years back. The cats eventually decided I didnít need that plant anymore , so Iíve come up with other creative ways to use that timer! Works like a champ!
I wouldn't recommend plugging a timer to come on 4 hours before you come home because if you leave the house and are gone for a total of 8 or more hours, your food will be unrefrigerated for 4 hours or more. . This could cause more problems than it would solve.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:48 PM   #20
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
I wouldn't recommend plugging a timer to come on 4 hours before you come home because if you leave the house and are gone for a total of 8 or more hours, your food will be unrefrigerated for 4 hours or more. . This could cause more problems than it would solve.
Interesting. I see your POV, but isnít it the same difference as using the older crockpots. And with the timer, you could always set up to 3 on-off cycles so that it comes on for two hours, off for two, on for one, off again, on again, etc.

Tags
None