"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 10-05-2007, 09:20 PM   #41
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
It’s a neat trick if anyone wants to try it. Just on guesstimation, I’ll say my unit runs at 230 degrees max on low. Low gives me resistance of 71 ohms and 202 watts of power.

So, 230 degrees / 202 watts = 1.13 degrees per watt. Ok, and I want 170 degrees of max temp.

170 degrees / 1.13 = 150 watts

The formula shows that P = V^2 / R.

I want 150 watts, so P is known. The crock pot has 71 ohms resistance on low, so R is known. So, we need to figure out V for the dimmer!

V^2 = P * R --> SQRT(V^2) = SQRT (P*R) --> V = SQRT(P*R)

V = SQRT(150 watts * 71 ohms)
V = SQRT(10650)
Take the square root of that:

V = 103.1 volts

Sooooooooo…..if I set my dimmer to output 103 volts, assuming it runs at 230 degrees unmodified, then my new input voltage will give me the old school cooking temp of 170 degrees, thus I can turn it on at 6 AM and go to work and then come home to a perfectly cooked meal with no burning! Isn’t math fun!!

And this is simple. Once you find the sweet spot on your dimmer, mark it with a permanent marker or sticker so that you always know where to set the dimmer switch for your crock pot cooking.

And if no one does it, it was still geeky fun for me to explain how to do it!

Old 10-05-2007, 09:25 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
Isn’t math fun!!

And this is simple. Once you find the sweet spot on your dimmer, mark it with a permanent marker or sticker so that you always know where to set the dimmer switch for your crock pot cooking.
Yep, keltin, I'm a math junkie. Also a "detail" junkie. Good suggestion about marking the timer. Hope this solves some folks' crock-pot challenges.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:30 PM   #43
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Yep, keltin, I'm a math junkie. Also a "detail" junkie. Good suggestion about marking the timer. Hope this solves some folks' crock-pot challenges.
I imagine the guys at Rival would give us a high five for this.....but the FDA guys that probably mandated the change are rolling over about now!

WAIT.....was that a knock at my door????????
Old 10-05-2007, 09:36 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Go hide inside of your biggest crock-pot! I'll distract them.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:02 PM   #45
Assistant Cook

Holy Cow!!!!!! Who knew it would come to this!

Actually, that is a great idea.... I'm sending my husband to Home Depot. I'm doing it! Thanks!
Old 10-06-2007, 08:23 PM   #46
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmsMommy7 View Post
Holy Cow!!!!!! Who knew it would come to this!

Actually, that is a great idea.... I'm sending my husband to Home Depot. I'm doing it! Thanks!
Glad to help out. Let us know if you try this and how it works for you. And I don't think your hubby is going to complain about this particular errand....ANY reason is a good reason to go to Home Depot!!
Old 10-07-2007, 10:04 AM   #47
Head Chef

Okay now YOU do the math. The new crockpots are running at a minimum temp of 300 degrees according to Rival, not 230. And do you really want to cook your meal for 6 or 7 hours at a temp of 170? You're looking at some dangerous stuff here. Think about it.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:55 AM   #48
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
Okay now YOU do the math. The new crockpots are running at a minimum temp of 300 degrees according to Rival, not 230. And do you really want to cook your meal for 6 or 7 hours at a temp of 170? You're looking at some dangerous stuff here. Think about it.
I checked the Rival site and all documents, and they declined to give a temperature but instead gave a wattage rating. I’ve posted that statement from the Rival site earlier in this thread, but I’ll post it again here for reference:

Q: What temperatures do the "Low" and "High" settings reach?

A: We can not specify temperature ranges for the "High" or "Low" settings. Our slow cookers differentiate "High" and "Low" by wattage. These wattages are set to ensure that a standard food load (as described in AHAM spec SC-1-1979) will reach a safe internal temperature within approximately four hours. The wattage required to do this is different for different models, and many variables are involved; (start temperature, food load, room temperature, etc.). Eventually slow cookers will reach a maximum temperature, however the temperature will be different for different environmental conditions and different food loads. Given enough time most food loads will reach the same maximum temperature on both "Low" and "High."

However, if you have documentation from Rival showing the actual temp, it would come in handy here. Could you post a link please.

And what exactly is dangerous about cooking food at 170 for several hours? The FDA states that the danger zone is between 40 degrees F and 140 degrees F. 170 degrees is well outside the danger zone. Further, extended coking times at low temp is quite common. Look at Sous Vide, cold smoking and curing meats, making jerky, or smoking a brisket.

And if you’re uncomfortable with all the math, the easiest thing to do is find out what temp your crock pot cooks at, and divide that number by 4. If you say 300 degrees, then divide by 4 = 75 degrees. So, for each 1/4 position on the slide, you get 75 degrees. Obviously, at the halfway mark, the temp is 150, and 3/4 it is 225 and a bit hot. So, the sweet spot for a 300 degree cooker would be between half and 3/4.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:10 AM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
So exactly how "old" are we talking here? Mine is about 10-12 years old ??? I think. It seems to cook really fast also, but I guess I've been sorta chalking it up to operator error. I don't remember how it did when I first got it. I was in my early 20's and WAY too busy for such things!!! I think I used it 3 times before I started my family at least 6 years later.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:30 AM   #50
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Oh, I saw this a couple of weeks ago and forgot to post here - At Target I saw a crock pot that actually has a temperature setting and also a probe that can be inserted into the food - I also think you can program the crockpot to switch from "on" to "warm" when the food reaches temperature you want. I was in a quick hurry but thought of this thread when I saw it - fyi -----

Tags
None