Crockpot recommendation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NisAznMonk

Assistant Cook
Does anyone have a recommendation on what brand of crockpot to buy? This will be my first one, and I am still just learning how to cook (took away to learn how to boil eggs correctly). Any help would be great.

I have 3 and they are all Rival brand so I can't speak to other brands. I bought them because they were on sale at the time. If you are fairly new to cooking, I think you'll love a slow cooker. My first "successful" meal was in a slow cooker. Also, welcome to DC! We're really glad you're here.

Does anyone have a recommendation on what brand of crockpot to buy? This will be my first one, and I am still just learning how to cook (took away to learn how to boil eggs correctly). Any help would be great.

Welcome to DC, Nis. :chef:

I only use mine once in awhile, but my choice is a Rival programmable. It tends to get very hot, but I compensate by using a low setting and cutting the cooking time almost in half. It does not go into the freezer or microwave & as far as I know does not have a rack, if you are thinking of baking in same. It is a handy appliance, if you have no time to cook, have no oven space when planning a large meal or new to cooking/beginner.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I actually signed up for the forum back in May 2006, but Air Force life has me BUSY so I haven't had a chance to check up on things. Now I need to get my nutrition in order and I'm hoping to do that with the help of this forum :)

What do you all think of the Sanyo ECJ-HC55H? I can't post a link because I don't have 20 posts yet, but hopefully someone can give me an opinion on it.

They have it here at the BX for $99. I'm just worried about the separate pots that come with it.

he unit includes two separate inner pots and inner lids to keep slow cooked dishes separate from rice, thereby maintaining the integrity of the rice flavor. The titanium-coated extra-thick (3mm) non-stick rice-cooking inner pot provides a round bottom for maximum heat distribution, optimum cooking, and effortless food release.
How do I make sure the surface retains its non-stick properties? I have already learned not to scrub it with a brillo pad :-p. Am I supposed to prime it with cooking oil or something?

I am considering buying the all clad slow cooker. Does anyone have this?

I would never get an all clad slow cooker. I LOVE all clad, but for a slow cooker it does not make any sense. You are really just paying an extra $100 for the name there.

The only slow cookers I have first hand knowledge of is Rival brand. My last one stopped working and I just got a replacement for X-mas. When it was working I really liked it. We will see how this one holds up.

We got my mom a Rival a few years ago and she loves it. She uses it at least once a week if not more. The cool thing about hers is that the crock and go into the oven and on the stovetop. It is smaller than mine though, but it is great for two people.

May I suggest (multitasking is fun!) the Krups FDH212 Rice Cooker/Slow Cooker, which will make perfect rice, steam vegetables, and serve as a slow cooker. It may be a little more expensive than most slow cookers, but each cooking function also has a "switch to keep warm" feature that you'll really learn to appreciate.

One of my reasons for considering the all clad is the features mentioned by Caine. I have a crockpot that I have done well with except that I want it to be able to hold food on warm longer and not continue cooking. The second reason was just that I have mostly all clad pans and felt safe choosing that brand. Thought maybe it was superior in some way to justify the price. I don't know anyone that has one.

Just about all slow cookers I know of have the keep warm function. I have almost never seen one without that.

I must have a cheapy! Mine has a low and high setting but I am looking for something with a timer that would switch that over.

My first crockpot ever was a Rival. I had it for twenty years. I threw it out when I bought a newer one (since it really had lost it's beauty) but it was a huge mistake. The newer doesn't cook the same. Not being an expert, I do know that the newer one seems best for keeping chili (for example) warm at a party but actually cooking in it is inferior.

I like the Rival because the heating elements are on the sides not on the bottom, as some do, it has a crock inter vessel, which is basically non stick, and can be put into an oven; and most important it is inexpensive. I just bought a 4 qt oval for $25. at Target. Seeing that you are out of country I am not sure what you will find. They sell them on the INTERNET, I am sure shipping will be a bear.

I think the general consensus is that you can't go wrong with Rival, which is usually one of the least expensive ones, too. Probably other more expensive brands are good, too, but we seem to be a "thrifty" crowd here. Rival has lots of different styles now but a basic 4qt. should meet your needs nicely. Do they have them at the PX (or BX)?

I would like to further add that the newer crock pot I bought was not Rival. It is a Hamilton Beach. I do not like it.

I think the general consensus is that you can't go wrong with Rival, which is usually one of the least expensive ones, too. Probably other more expensive brands are good, too, but we seem to be a "thrifty" crowd here. Rival has lots of different styles now but a basic 4qt. should meet your needs nicely. Do they have them at the PX (or BX)?

I like thrifty...especially since I don't know how long something like this will last me. Unfortunately they don't have the Rival brand here so I'll have to stick with what I got so far. If I can stay consistent and cook for at least a year then I would say I got my money's worth.

:chef:

I have the Hamilton Beach "Stay or Go" model. It is large enough for any meal that I want to cook and has three settings, high, low, and keep warm. It also has fasteners that keep the lid in place and keep the food inside from spilling out while traveling. This feature has been a life saver for me while transporting soups, chili, and other meals to various functions and charity meals. The Hamilton Beach model also has very sturdy handles that will carry any weight I might conceivably have in a slow-cooker.

I had two other slow cookers, the first, a Rival Crock Pot, and the second, a GE Slow cooker. Both the Rival and the GE cookers had plastic handles. A handle broke on my Rival as I was carrying a full batch of chicken soup to a pot luck, right over my living room carpet. I had soup and broken crockery all over the place. I was more fortunate with the General Electric product as the handle broke 2 inches above the counter-top as I lifted a full batch of chili, heading to a different pot luck. The Hamilton Beach unit does the cooking job every bit as good as the other two brands, but has steel handles that will not break, and an attached lid that prevents spills. The heating element is a band that circles half-way up the sides and provides very controlable heat.

Because I have had broken handles on the other two brands, I won't by another Rival, or GE slow cooker. I expect to be able to lift a batch of food from my counter-top to any place I might want to transport it.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

That new Hamilton Beach that comes with the 3 diff size pots looks like a good one. You could use it for dips to large meals. I'm going to look at them at a store when I get a chance.

I've been eyeing that one myself, Sage - especially since I'm nearly always just cooking for myself & the husband. I know it's relatively new, but still wish I knew someone who has it & has used it. Hate being the first - lol!!

I've been eyeing that one myself, Sage - especially since I'm nearly always just cooking for myself & the husband. I know it's relatively new, but still wish I knew someone who has it & has used it. Hate being the first - lol!!

Breezy, have you looked at epinions.com and Amazon for reviews?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom