"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 01-06-2009, 09:46 PM   #1
Head Chef

Experience with wings - crispy?

Anyone happen to have any experience with cooking chicken wings using the frozen chicken wings or drummettes in the crock pot?

Do they come out crispy at all? Or just soft and slimy "lol".

Old 01-07-2009, 03:30 AM   #2
Master Chef

A crockpot cooks low and slow, and needs to be filled at least 2/3 full with liquid and what you are cooking, so I don't see how they would ever come out crispy.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:33 AM   #3
Head Chef

I have parboiled them first not for long-- just to give them a boost and then put them in the crock pot with BQ sauce and they came out great. The reason I parboiled first was for my own reason of security. I don't like the idea of putting chicken with bones in the crockpot at a slow temp as it will take longer to cook and the thought of chicken out in a slow and warm temp to me I am brewing bacteria. so I cook a lil first if they have bones in them. boneless i thow in as is. Just my lil phobia.

They won't be crispy with the sauce on them
Old 01-07-2009, 08:34 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Soft and slimey. Why do you want to cook wings in a crock-pot?
Old 01-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
Head Chef

I usually bake mine until crispy, then for serving, I put the sauce in the crock pot and heat it up, and toss the wings in there. They stay crispy over the couple of hours for serving.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:29 AM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
A crockpot cooks low and slow, and needs to be filled at least 2/3 full with liquid and what you are cooking,
Sorry, but I've never heard of such thing. A crockpot is moist cooking in a sealed pot and does not need to have any liquid added, let alone filling 2/3 full, since the food itself provides the liquid. Most often the liquid added is for flavoring, such as BBQ sauce.

My chicken wings get placed in the crockpot frozen with the sauce and spices. That's all. I guess "soft and slimy" is the word for cooked to fall-off-the-bone-perfection and covered with BBQ sauce.

If one wants dry wings you can use balls of aluminum foil on the bottom of the crockpot to keep the wings out of the liquid, and maybe use a dry rub to give you a roasted chicken wing.

A crockpot is our friend.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
Master Chef

Nothing cooked in a crockpot comes out crispy.

There's no reason to cook chicken wings in a crockpot. They cook very quickly -- cooking them for a long period in a crockpot will dry them out.

You can make very crispy, falling off the bone wings by baking them or frying them.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:48 AM   #8
Master Chef

NOTHING comes out "crispy" from a crockpot. It's not supposed to.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
Sorry, but I've never heard of such thing. A crockpot is moist cooking in a sealed pot and does not need to have any liquid added, let alone filling 2/3 full, since the food itself provides the liquid. Most often the liquid added is for flavoring, such as BBQ sauce.

My chicken wings get placed in the crockpot frozen with the sauce and spices. That's all. I guess "soft and slimy" is the word for cooked to fall-off-the-bone-perfection and covered with BBQ sauce.

If one wants dry wings you can use balls of aluminum foil on the bottom of the crockpot to keep the wings out of the liquid, and maybe use a dry rub to give you a roasted chicken wing.

A crockpot is our friend.
It is in the directions for the crock pot. The crock pot does not create moisture or add to it, you have to have something in there to provide moisture. Having meat alone will not provide enough moisture. Too little content and you risk the pot getting too hot and cracking.
It was on page one of my manual, before they even got into explaining any of the settings or uses, and also under 'warranty' section.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #10
Head Chef

I've just pulled out my crockpot instruction books and it doesn't say anything about filling the crockpot 2/3rds full of liquid. In fact, quite the opposite. It says "use less" in slow cooking. One cup of liquid is more than enough for any recipe unless it contains rice or pasta.

You can put one whole chicken in a crockpot with just a dry rub seasoning and no liquid at all and by the time it is done there is pot full of liquid, all from the chicken.

Roasts are cooked with a 1/2 cup of water or broth to start (recipe in the book). There is a recipe in the book for BBQ Ribs that uses NO water. Baking can even be done in your slow cooker.

I'm sorry you believe what you do about slow cookers. You are missing out in alot of the use and fun of using them.

Tags
None