First time cooking with a slow cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oppose

Cook
Finally took it out of the box lol. so ive never used one but my friend raves about it. i wanna make something for my girlfriend. its around 3:30pm here so if we could eat in like 5-6 hours that would be cool. any idea what i can make? ive got meat store right outside so its all good.

This reply may be too late to help you. Anyway, your slow cooker probably came with a manual that included several recipes. Find a recipe that you like, closely follow the instructions and see what happens. Another suggestion is to look at all the recipes on this forum and try one.

Pete K.

another one that's too late, but how about bbq pork chops? nothing could be easier.

just brown the chops in a frying pan in oil very quickly over high heat, toss some whole garlic cloves in for the last 30 seconds or so. layer some sliced onions on the bottom of the crock pot, then put chops and garlic on top. add a half bottle of bbq sauce, cover, and cook until falling apart.

For future reference...chicken pieces only take about 4 hours. Take a look around this sub forum. Chicken pieces, whole chicken, doesn't "melt" - just don't overcook it. One of my favorite things to do is cook a whole chicken, remove the meat, add back to the crockpot and add some good BBQ sauce in there. Heat again and use as you would pulled pork. It makes the BEST sandwiches!

Once you start using it on a regular basis you will get the hang of how long things take and why.

How long should you cook boneless chicken breasts in Crockpot say on Low......and also on High.? I'v cooked it on High for 7 hours and it was very tender but it stuck in your throat.

Last edited:
Finally took it out of the box lol. so ive never used one but my friend raves about it. i wanna make something for my girlfriend. its around 3:30pm here so if we could eat in like 5-6 hours that would be cool. any idea what i can make? ive got meat store right outside so its all good.

Sorry I'm late to the CP meat/beef thread. A dish I like is Beef Bourgignon. Here's an easy TNT recipe:

Welcome To Crock-Pot.com

And, Bavarian Pot Roast with apples & ginger. I make spaetzle or broad egg noodles with parsley & butter on the side.

4 hours is not a lot of cooking time, Kitchen Elf. if you're a working mom it's not easier to use the crockpot for chicken, then. i'm sure i would set it up by 8 and eat dinner after 6.

4 hours is not a lot of cooking time, Kitchen Elf. if you're a working mom it's not easier to use the crockpot for chicken, then. i'm sure i would set it up by 8 and eat dinner after 6.

The term "Working Mom's" was not mentioned by the OP - - - nor, really, was chicken...only recipes that cooked in the amount of time he had to work with i.e, 5 - 6 hours, yesterday afternoon. Chicken pieces (especially thighs) fit into that time slot.

that's true. i just know form, when i had the crockpot, that it wasn't for a 4 hour meal.

I can take 8 hours to do chicken or 4 hours, depends on the heat level, the condition of the chicken going in (I know, some have issues with the whole frozen chicken thing, but I've never had a problem in my pot), the sauce I have it in, etc. There are variables to every recipe cooked in the crock.

I can take 8 hours to do chicken or 4 hours, depends on the heat level, the condition of the chicken going in (I know, some have issues with the whole frozen chicken thing, but I've never had a problem in my pot), the sauce I have it in, etc. There are variables to every recipe cooked in the crock.

Yes - it is 4 hours on high! :chef: Good point!

You know, I'm craving bbq chicken in the crock. I may have to do that tomorrow. Some boneless skinless chicken breast or maybe even bone in ~ Michael Simon insists bone in is the way to go no matter what kind of chicken you are doing ~ toss in some bbq sauce and cook until the chicken shreads. Thanks for the suggestion, kitchenelf.

You know, I'm craving bbq chicken in the crock. I may have to do that tomorrow. Some boneless skinless chicken breast or maybe even bone in ~ Michael Simon insists bone in is the way to go no matter what kind of chicken you are doing ~ toss in some bbq sauce and cook until the chicken shreads. Thanks for the suggestion, kitchenelf.

You won't regret using bone in - I fully agree when it comes to chicken in a crockpot!!!! I cook mine first so I can then remove the meat from the bones and remove all the grease. THEN, I toss it back in with some BBQ sauce and heat on low OR I have been known to put it in a casserole dish and heat in the oven. My crock is oven-proof so I heat that way too.

Back
Top Bottom