Frozen green beans in slow cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milford

Cook
Hi all. In a day or two, I will be making this recipe...

Slow Cooker Full Chicken Dinner - The Magical Slow Cooker

The recipe calls for fresh green beans but I have two bags of frozen green beans sitting in the freezer. Would anyone know the timing on the green beans? I don't think it will take 4.5 hrs. Last time I made frozen green beans in a slow cooker, they turned to mush.

I'm thinking adding them in 2 hrs. before the recipe is done. Trying to keep them a little firm.

Thanks for any help.

Hope you don't mind a couple thoughts from a dumb bachelor cook.

If you're looking for crisp tender or al dente or anything short of hammered, a slow cooker is the wrong appliance. You are thinking of adding green beans to simmer in a crock pot for the last two hours or so of a 4 1/2 hour cook time. Getting string beans or most other vegetables, fresh or frozen, to the degree of doneness you seem to be looking for is a matter of minutes, not hours.

Of course, most likely I have misunderstood the issue, in which case, please forgive the intrusion.

Last edited:
If we can't get "loose" green beans and have to buy a whole bag, we use what we need then blanch and freeze the rest. Like frozen peas, you can defrost them and add them at the last minute just to warm through. If you want them more tender, add them sooner or cook them past blanching before freezing. Where Karen was raised in Kentucky, the folks preferred green beans cooked to death.:ohmy:

If you want an easy side dish, try this green bean recipe.

2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Large onion sliced thin
1 14.5 oz can stewed tomatoes
10 oz Fresh or frozen green beans
Hot sauce to taste
S&P to taste

Heat oil, medium-high, in a large skillet. Add onion and cook till softened. Add stewed tomatoes and green beans. Cover and simmer until the green beans are close to your preferred doneness. Remove cover and add hot sauce. When done adjust seasoning and serve.

I also make a quicky meal with hot dogs and stewed tomatoes.

1 Tbsp vegetable oil
8 Hotdogs split length wise
1 Large onion, thinly sliced
1 14.5 oz can stewed tomatoes
1 cup chicken stock (optional)
Hot sauce to taste
S&P

Heat oil, med-high, in a large skillet. Brown hotdogs on both sides and set aside. Add onions and cook until softened. Add stewed tomatoes and browned hotdogs. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes. Remove cover, add hot sauce and cook 5 to 10 minutes, adding chicken stock if it starts to dry out. When done, season as needed and serve over mashed potatoes.

Last edited:
Hope you don't mind a couple thoughts from a dumb bachelor cook.

If you're looking for crisp tender or al dente or anything short of hammered, a slow cooker is the wrong appliance. You are thinking of adding green beans to simmer in a crock pot for the last two hours or so of a 4 1/2 hour cook time. Getting string beans or most other vegetables, fresh or frozen, to the degree of doneness you seem to be looking for is a matter of minutes, not hours.

Of course, most likely I have misunderstood the issue, in which case, please forgive the intrusion.
Here, Here!!!

Back
Top Bottom