Ham or meatloaf?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elaine l

Head Chef
I enjoy using my crockpot in the summer months. I have wondered what else I could cook in it. I have a boneless ham and would like to try it but wonder if it would dry out or overcook. I am also curious if anyone has ever done a meatloaf in it. I guess I am craving cold weather food after so many grill days.

A crockpot retains moisture. You would use some sort of liquid with your ham i.e., some people swear by Dr. Pepper, or you might try a mixture of brown sugar, undrained crushed or chunked pineapple, and a bit of water.

For the meatloaf it's basically the same as making in the oven. You might want to crumple some aluminum foil and place on the bottom to keep your meatloaf from sitting in the grease. Make a ketchup glaze for the top or bbq sauce, or whatever is your favorite topping is.

Thanks. I was just hoping someone would give me the go ahead!

You have the go ahead from me. I have been craving those same types of foods too. A big bowl of mashed potatoes is what I have been craving! :cool:

I've done meatloaf in the crock-pot quite successfully, elaine. The only thing I would recommend is that you make a "sling" of aluminum foil so you can lift the meatloaf out of the crock-pot to allow it to drain before cutting. I usually fold two strips and put them "X" fashion in the crock-pot and, then, put the meatloaf on the foil strips. Works like a charm.

So here I go. Trying the ham first (since I had one) I put carrots and onions on the bottom, ham and then a mixture of pineapple, o.j., and brown sugar. So now just sit and wait.

Next up will be the meatloaf. Love the foil tip. Never thought about how I would get it out of the pot!

kitchenelf said:
For the meatloaf it's basically the same as making in the oven. You might want to crumple some aluminum foil and place on the bottom to keep your meatloaf from sitting in the grease. Make a ketchup glaze for the top or bbq sauce, or whatever is your favorite topping is.

You’re kidding! I would have immediately you can’t cook a meatloaf on a crock pot.....but low an behold, there are hundreds of recipes for it. This one sounds interesting and has a neat technique for removing the meatloaf when it is done.

Have you ever done this kitchenelf (a meatloaf in a crock-pot)? I never imagined you could cook a meatloaf in a crock-pot! Never say never huh? :LOL:

I'm going to have to try this!

Katie E said:
I've done meatloaf in the crock-pot quite successfully, elaine. The only thing I would recommend is that you make a "sling" of aluminum foil so you can lift the meatloaf out of the crock-pot to allow it to drain before cutting. I usually fold two strips and put them "X" fashion in the crock-pot and, then, put the meatloaf on the foil strips. Works like a charm.

Wow, I should have read further down in this thread! You even suggest the trick of using an aluminum foil sling! So you’ve done this before then? How is it? Does it hold together like a regular meatloaf?

(BTW – I made a chuck roast again according to your recipe. It was great as usual! Awesome!)

Yes, keltin, I've done it and the meatloaf does hold together just as it does when cooked in the oven. If you want to keep the meat off the bottom, a shallow rack can be put on the bottom of the crock-pot before putting the foil sling in.

I also have a crock-pot conversion chart I use that converts oven cooking times to crock-pot cooking times. This way I can do almost any recipe I cook in the oven, in the crock-pot.

Katie E said:
Yes, keltin, I've done it and the meatloaf does hold together just as it does when cooked in the oven. If you want to keep the meat off the bottom, a shallow rack can be put on the bottom of the crock-pot before putting the foil sling in.

I also have a crock-pot conversion chart I use that converts oven cooking times to crock-pot cooking times. This way I can do almost any recipe I cook in the oven, in the crock-pot.

Thanks Katie, I’m going to give it a shot. I’ve got a stainless steel trivet (two actually) that I use with my roasting pans to hold up smaller pieces of meat and poultry. One of them will fit perfectly in the crock-pot. It looks like this.

triv_1.jpg

I never even thought of using a crock-pot like an oven. So many new possibilities to explore now! :)

kitchenelf said:
You have the go ahead from me. I have been craving those same types of foods too. A big bowl of mashed potatoes is what I have been craving! :cool:
What's with that? Me, too. I was all by myself last Monday, and made a big bowl of mashed potatoes for dinner! :LOL:

keltin said:
I never even thought of using a crock-pot like an oven. So many new possibilities to explore now! :)
Believe me, keltin, I'm a lover of the crock-pot. Our house isn't air-conditioned and on days, like today, when the temp is supposed to be in triple digits, my crock-pot is my best friend.

As a matter of fact, I've been conducting a little experiment. Since June 1st, I've cooked about 80% of our evening meals in the crock-pot, without duplicating a single dish.

Last night we had stuffed beef tenderloin in a rich red wine sauce.

Tonight's meal will be chicken with shiitake mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, onions, red wine, can't remember what else.

When it's this hot, I don't even feel like cooking ANYTHING, so it's nice to rely on my crock-pot to do all the "heavy lifting," as it were, and have a nice meal with little or no effort.

When I first bought my CP, I made a meatloaf, as an experiment. I poured in a box of scalloped potatoes (w a mixture of water to the seasoning packet? - it's been awhile), and placed the ML on top. Had no problem lifting the loaf out (used a spatula), but the dish was greasy & too salty. My Rival doesn't make an insert for my model. I also don't like heating up the kitchen during the summer, but IMO, meatloaf tastes better prepared in the oven - crunchier topping and the meat doesn't taste like it was steamed. I have made meatballs in the CP, but first browned them & drained the fat.

The way I typically cook a meatloaf is on the grill. I prepare the meatloaf as usual, bank all of the coals on one side of the grill (you need at least an 18”, but a 22” is even better), and put your meatloaf on the other side. Add some hickory chips that have been soaked in water, and let it cook (indirectly) for 1.5 hours. Awesome stuff.

But, this crock-pot method is something I’ve not tried before, so it’s time to experiment!

Katie E and Kitchenelf,

I did the meatloaf in the crockpot (with foil) Low and Behold...it was delicious. Thanks for the tip. I think I actually like it better than the oven as mine tends to sometimes be dry.

I did meatloaf in the crock-pot for years, and it is really good cooked that way. I must have read the same book as Katie, as I used the foil trick for years.
You can also make a fine meatloaf in the micro-wave. I don't use a recipe, but I'll see if I can find one.

Katie, I'd sure like to have a link to your conversion chart!

Keltin, any recipe of Katie's will be good.

I did meatloaf in the crock-pot for years, and it is really good cooked that way. I must have read the same book as Katie, as I used the foil trick for years.
You can also make a fine meatloaf in the micro-wave. I don't use a recipe, but I'll see if I can find one.

Katie, I'd sure like to have a link to your conversion chart!

Keltin, any recipe of Katie's will be good.

Thanks for the compliment, Connie.

I'll PM you the conversion chart because it might have a copyright on it. I'll do that tomorrow since I'm not where I can get to it right now.

Elaine, if you want it, I'll send you a PM at the same time. Just say the word.

Back
Top Bottom