"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 08-05-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
Head Chef

Ham or meatloaf?

I enjoy using my crockpot in the summer months. I have wondered what else I could cook in it. I have a boneless ham and would like to try it but wonder if it would dry out or overcook. I am also curious if anyone has ever done a meatloaf in it. I guess I am craving cold weather food after so many grill days.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:44 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
A crockpot retains moisture. You would use some sort of liquid with your ham i.e., some people swear by Dr. Pepper, or you might try a mixture of brown sugar, undrained crushed or chunked pineapple, and a bit of water.

For the meatloaf it's basically the same as making in the oven. You might want to crumple some aluminum foil and place on the bottom to keep your meatloaf from sitting in the grease. Make a ketchup glaze for the top or bbq sauce, or whatever is your favorite topping is.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 01:47 PM   #3
Head Chef

Thanks. I was just hoping someone would give me the go ahead!
Old 08-05-2007, 01:52 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
You have the go ahead from me. I have been craving those same types of foods too. A big bowl of mashed potatoes is what I have been craving!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 06:29 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've done meatloaf in the crock-pot quite successfully, elaine. The only thing I would recommend is that you make a "sling" of aluminum foil so you can lift the meatloaf out of the crock-pot to allow it to drain before cutting. I usually fold two strips and put them "X" fashion in the crock-pot and, then, put the meatloaf on the foil strips. Works like a charm.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:52 AM   #6
Head Chef

So here I go. Trying the ham first (since I had one) I put carrots and onions on the bottom, ham and then a mixture of pineapple, o.j., and brown sugar. So now just sit and wait.

Next up will be the meatloaf. Love the foil tip. Never thought about how I would get it out of the pot!
Old 08-06-2007, 09:36 AM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
For the meatloaf it's basically the same as making in the oven. You might want to crumple some aluminum foil and place on the bottom to keep your meatloaf from sitting in the grease. Make a ketchup glaze for the top or bbq sauce, or whatever is your favorite topping is.
Youíre kidding! I would have immediately you canít cook a meatloaf on a crock pot.....but low an behold, there are hundreds of recipes for it. This one sounds interesting and has a neat technique for removing the meatloaf when it is done.

Have you ever done this kitchenelf (a meatloaf in a crock-pot)? I never imagined you could cook a meatloaf in a crock-pot! Never say never huh?

I'm going to have to try this!
Old 08-06-2007, 09:39 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
I've done meatloaf in the crock-pot quite successfully, elaine. The only thing I would recommend is that you make a "sling" of aluminum foil so you can lift the meatloaf out of the crock-pot to allow it to drain before cutting. I usually fold two strips and put them "X" fashion in the crock-pot and, then, put the meatloaf on the foil strips. Works like a charm.
Wow, I should have read further down in this thread! You even suggest the trick of using an aluminum foil sling! So youíve done this before then? How is it? Does it hold together like a regular meatloaf?

(BTW Ė I made a chuck roast again according to your recipe. It was great as usual! Awesome!)
Old 08-06-2007, 10:19 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Yes, keltin, I've done it and the meatloaf does hold together just as it does when cooked in the oven. If you want to keep the meat off the bottom, a shallow rack can be put on the bottom of the crock-pot before putting the foil sling in.

I also have a crock-pot conversion chart I use that converts oven cooking times to crock-pot cooking times. This way I can do almost any recipe I cook in the oven, in the crock-pot.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:54 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
Yes, keltin, I've done it and the meatloaf does hold together just as it does when cooked in the oven. If you want to keep the meat off the bottom, a shallow rack can be put on the bottom of the crock-pot before putting the foil sling in.

I also have a crock-pot conversion chart I use that converts oven cooking times to crock-pot cooking times. This way I can do almost any recipe I cook in the oven, in the crock-pot.
Thanks Katie, Iím going to give it a shot. Iíve got a stainless steel trivet (two actually) that I use with my roasting pans to hold up smaller pieces of meat and poultry. One of them will fit perfectly in the crock-pot. It looks like this.

Name:   triv_1.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  1.8 KB

I never even thought of using a crock-pot like an oven. So many new possibilities to explore now!

Tags
None