"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 11-08-2006, 02:09 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Hamilton-Beach slow cooker recall.

I've used mine for years with no problems and about 2 days after I found that my cooker had deffective handles one of them failed.

Called thier recall # for instructions, they took my address and said would send a pre-paid mailer for me to send the plug off the end of the cord for varification and would either send an entirely new unit or a replacement heat unit so don't throw away the crock or lid just yet.

http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/cgi-bin...ker/strfnbr/20

Old 12-04-2006, 11:03 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Recieved the raplacement and got a 33690BV 7 qt. slow cooker to replace the original 4.5 qt. 33475.

I think the 33690BV has been discontinued and the box it's in has a big damaged place on the front.

I was hoping for another 4-5 qt. model to replace the original because I recently bought a 7 qt. Kitchenaid.

http://hamiltonbeach.kitcol.com/temp...manfno=33690BV

Old 12-04-2006, 01:13 PM   #3
Master Chef

I had handles break on both a GE slow cooker and a Crock Pot slow cooker. The latter sent hot chicken-noodle sup spilling all over my living room carpet and the crock vessel fell out and shattered on the floor. The handle on the GE unit failed as I got it about an inch above the counter top. I wish I'd thought about checking for a recall, or at least reporting the failures to the companies.

Kudos to you for checking, and sharing.

I purchased my Hamilton Beach model because it has metal handles that are spot-welded to the heating shell, and it has clamps to securely hold the lid in place. It has worked wonderfully for me.

I hope your new unit is as sturdy as is mine.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:10 PM   #4
Cook

I called about mine (I've glued the handles a couple of times) and they are going to replace the outer heating portion. I just have to send them the plug. It's kind of a shame, I've been thinking about getting a newer stovetop and oven friendly models.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:59 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Several years ago I noticed one of the handles on a Rival cp was getting a little loose but didn't think much about that until I was moving it to a table and it came off completely and the same thing happened to me as did goodweed. 5 qt of chili all over the floor and a brocken crock. What a mess.

Good thing it was a tile floor and cleaned up OK.

Tags
None