"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 10-14-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Help with beef roast in crock pot

I have a 4lb boneless top round roast I was planning too cook on my big green egg tomorrow. Turns out I won't have time so I'd like to get it in the crock pot in the AM. I was thinking of seasoning the roast and searing with some oil in my dutch oven. Then I was going to get it into the crock pot by around 9am with some potatoes and onions and a little water. I will make gravy with the resulting juices. We want to eat at 5 - 5:30.

Does this sound like a good plan? Should I do it differently?

Whenever we cook this in the crock pot (the wife has a method) it is tasty but VERY dry. I'd love it to be nice and juicy like I keep reading about around here .

Any advice is really appreciated.

Thanks
Jay

Old 10-14-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

I would cover the roast with water to keep it from getting too dry. thats what I do and the roast is usually not dry

Old 10-14-2009, 09:03 PM   #3
Head Chef

Do you still have the owner's manual for your slow-cooker? There are tips in there that will help. I don't cover mine with water, but do add a bit of liquid, sometimes beef broth/stock. They say to put the potatoes/carrots on the bottom, then the beef on top, put it on low for all-day cooking or the veggies will be mush.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:26 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcv
Whenever we cook this in the crock pot (the wife has a method) it is tasty but VERY dry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcv
Any advice is really appreciated.
Next time try a boneless Chuck Roast instead of the Top Round...This should solve the Dry problem.........

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:05 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

isn't there supposed to be a problem with lead and crock pots? I dumped my crock pot for a dutch oven.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Next time try a boneless Chuck Roast instead of the Top Round...This should solve the Dry problem.........

Enjoy!
Pretty much. Round = worst piece of meat on the cow. I've had better luck with oxtail in braising techniques than Round.

PS: If you'd like to salvage the piece of meat you do have, I suggest scrapping the Crock Pot and doing the Good Eats method - foil wrap in a low oven with a very small amount of dense liquid (he used tomato juice on that episode) and strong seasonings.

The goal is to get the other stuff flavoring the meat. Crockpots usually just get the meat flavoring everything else, leaving the meat dry, flavorless, and generally unpalatable without a healthy dose of gravy made from (ironically) the pot liquor that remains...

If you must use a crockpot, and you must cover it completely, I suggest a mixture of beef broth and a good stout red wine.

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:28 AM   #7
Head Chef

Low and slow in a crock pot works for me, usually. I don't ever cover the meat with liquid, just enough to go about 1/3 to 1/2 up the roast.
I place a piece of foil in between the cover and the pot to keep steam from escaping. Like someone else suggested. place your veg's in the bottom, then the meat. The bay leaf , wine and stock make sense to me and will add flavor. Don't forget to salt and pepper the meat before you put it into the pot.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:39 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Thank you all for the replies.

Well, I cooked the roast yesterday. I cut up some red potatoes and carrots and put them in the crock along with some chopped garlic. I added a little olive oil, salt and pepper and mixed all around. I then seasoned my roast with this stuff my sister gave me:

... it is sooooo good

I put a little oil in my dutch oven and seared the roast on all sides at med/high heat then added to the crock on top of the veggies. I added 2 cans of beef broth at this time. I cooked it on low from 9:30am to 5:30pm. Well, it was very tasty and the veggies were awesome but it was VERY dry. Luckily I love gravy but I still want to have a pot roast in the crock pot that isn't dry.

I'll definitely try a chuck roast next time
Old 10-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #9
Head Chef

Yep, try a fattier piece, or put some bacon over the top.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Anything acidic added to the pot will break down the meat and make it more tender. I've used a jar of pepperoncinis or wine or a tomato product of some kind.Some people swear by a can of beer. Anything to break down that tough meat.
I agree with changing type of meat next time.

Tags
None