"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 05-15-2006, 12:06 PM   #1
Senior Cook

How much water (black beans)?

I'll be cooking a black bean recipe in the crock pot this week. I had a nice recipe but I cannot find it now. I'll be including 1 pound of dry black beans along with.

celery
onion
kielbasa
canadian bacon
bacon
diced tomato

How much water would be appropriate something like this in the crock pot? 2 cups? 4 cups?

Old 05-15-2006, 12:10 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Cover the beans and other ingredients by at least an inch.

Old 05-15-2006, 12:25 PM   #3
Master Chef

And let those babies cook untilv very tender before adding any acidic ingredients to the beans. Salt and most herbs and spices are ok. But don't add any tomato, vinaiger, or acidic veggies as they will cause the bean protiens to toughen quickly, resulting in hard-tough beans.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:40 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Put the beans in water and bring to a boil. Turn off and let sit for an hour. Then add the other ingredients. At least an inch should be fine. The pre-boiling will cut down your time a lot.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:13 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I do that sometimes too, Gretchen, with all kinds of dried beans. Isn't it called the quick soak method?
Old 05-25-2006, 04:20 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Cover the beans and other ingredients by at least an inch.
I follow the 1" rule for soaked beans but I add at least 2" of water above the beans for unsoaked beans. Your mileage may vary, but I like my beans on the moist and soupy side.

I just love beans!
Old 05-25-2006, 06:21 PM   #7
Senior Cook

To all you bean lovers I suggest you check out the beans for sale at Native Seed/Search of Tuscon, AZ. Excellent service too.

www.nativeseeds.org/
Old 05-26-2006, 01:42 AM   #8
Head Chef

I never had much luck with dried beans in my crock pot, they just never seemed to get done. =/

Z
Old 05-28-2006, 02:48 PM   #9
Sous Chef

If you soak the beans, in water for an hour, that will cut the cooking hour by half or even less. I usually soak beans, after an hour, I drain and then add more water, then boil before I actually cook.Have a lovely beenie day.Mr.Dove. Btw, whats kielbasa?
Old 05-29-2006, 12:35 AM   #10
Head Chef

From Wikipedia

Wiejska kielbasa

Various brands of kielbasa

Kielbasa (in English usually pronounced /kiːlˈbɑːsə/ or /kɪlˈbɑ:sə/; in Polish spelled kiełbasa and pronounced [kʲewˈbasa] listen (help·info) is the generic Polish word for sausage.

Sausage is a staple of Polish cuisine, and comes in dozens of varieties, smoked or fresh, but almost always based on pork (although in some areas, it is possible to get it in beef, horse, lamb, turkey, or even bison). Every region has its own speciality. Popular types include kabanosy (thin, air dried sausage flavoured with caraway seed), krakowska (a thick, straight sausage hot smoked with pepper and garlic - name comes from Krakow), and wiejska (a large U-shaped pork and veal sausage with marjoram and garlic - name meaning "a country one", pronounced in Polish /ˈvʲejska/). In the U.S., "kielbasa" or "Polish sausage" almost always means some form of wiejska (although often not U-shaped and seldom containing veal), which may be fully- or part-smoked or unsmoked.

Z

Tags
None