How to use the slow cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lotusbird

Assistant Cook
Hi
I bought one of those GE 3 crock buffet slow cookers. I've been cooking with slow cookers for a long time, and everything I learned says to not remove the lid much, takes longer to heat back up, etc. So I was a little concerned when I saw the indentation for the spoon holder opening right into the crock, seems like it would allow heat to escape- I am wondering if it was meant to be used with the spoons inserted during cooking? If so, I would be a little concerned about the plastic material from the spoon leeching "stuff" into the food. am I just being a worry wart or is the temp not get high enough for me to worry about it?
Thanks

Barbara

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to DC!

Do you have a picture of the slow cooker? I don't think I've seen one like you're describing.

Last edited:
I saw those for sale at Walmart the other day. I think you're right
and I wouldn't cook with the spoons in it either. If you think it
is letting too much heat escape during the cooking process, you
could probably crumple up a piece of Aluminum Foil to plug up
that gap and keep more heat in the crock pot(s).

Last edited:
I would agree, then use the spoons for serving, when the CP is on warm.

Thank you

Thank you for all your replies.
This slow cooker seems to be a winner, I used it today for the first time, made chili in one, lentil soup in another, and a chicken casserole-type dish in the other. They've been cooking for 4 hrs on low, just checked and stirred, food is cooking wonderfully. I didn't use the spoons or any other plug in the hole- I wonder if GE made this crockpot cook hotter to allow for the heat loss?? All the reviews I've read on this pot are great, and I think it's a real steal at $34USD. The lid cover holders are really neat, no more cluttering up the tabletop! I think it would be a perfect item for holiday cooking. I am impressed, but of course it remains to be seen how well it holds up! I'll let you all know...

Barbara

I love that you can make three things at once. It would be great for large families or cooking for a get together. Sounds like you found a great deal!

Sounds like you made a great find, Lotusbird! Thanks for the review!

You will have to share your recipes!

cooking with new crock- finished!

One last post for today, my final result for the 3 crock cooker-everything came out splendidly, nothing burned and everything was cooked thru, all in the alloted timeframe of the recipes. I was especially impressed with the chicken dish, I didn't even fill the crock half full, and it didn't burn a bit. It was done first, so I switched the setting to warm while the other two remained on lo cooking, and it held the temp steady. My next step will be to cook a dish on lo, and another on high, to see how well they work together. All in all, I'm very pleased so far. The one thing that could be a minor concern for others is that each pot doesn't have a seperate indicator light, there is just one big one on the base. For me, it doesn't matter a bit, all my other crocks are vintage, and they have NO indicator light at all!
Just to note, these crocks are only 2.5 qt., so a main dish for a family of six wouldn't cut it in one crock, but all 3 add up to 7.5 qts... In any case perfect for hubby and me and a grandkid or two... just in time for Thanksgiving, now I don't need 3 seperate appliances for the sides!

Barbara

Excellent, Barbara! So glad you shared your experience!

What started as a question turned into a great review, from someone who experienced the whole thing!

I hope this is the proper place to put this.

I also have a small crock-pot (along with a big one) to reheat leftovers, like stew and soup. There are times I don't know when Mark is going to
be home, and I put leftovers in the crock to keep warm. I don't really like
reheating things in the microwave, unless I have to.

Back
Top Bottom