"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers
Old 06-17-2008, 03:16 PM   #31
Executive Chef
I'm with ya' all. I got rid of my crockpot (avacado color from the 70's) when I move here in '99.
I have a small one I use to make pork & saurkraut and stew.
Beside which, I don't like leaving electric heating type things on when I'm not home. I know, I know, I'm a putz. But I got putzy after house was hit by lightning.
I'd rather be putzy than sorry!

quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:22 PM   #32
Master Chef
Love my slow cooker. I can only say if it comes out over cooked, then well it was overcooked! Just because it is a slow cooker doesn't mean it can't be overcooked just like any other method out there.
I don't prep anything before putting it in the pot, just put it all in and let it go. I do everything from Chicken, beef or pork roasts, stews, soups, bbq country style ribs, pork chops, etc in it.
I don't have any recipe books for slow cookers, I thought I had one around here somewhere but can't find it. I took some recipes from online and used them as suggestions or idea or bases for making my own recipes.
I use my family as my judges, and so far they leave no leftovers behind!!

Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:43 PM   #33
Senior Cook
Location: northern Michigan in the forest, overlooking a waterfall
I find it interesting that you say your meats come out dry. What are you cooking for meats. As I mentioned above, chicken ends up in pure delicious broth, bone-in ham has plenty of juice which exudes out and the ribs I do are also juicy, I haven't had that experience. Try putting in tomatoes and rice with pork chops and appropriate seasonings. Or sauerkraut on top of your short ribs.
xmascarol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:45 PM   #34
Master Chef
I like knowing that I have some company here.........I would just rather sit with a book and stir my stews, etc., of course I don't work at a job 8-10 hours a day either......but I have to say that a slow cooker does make the best beans ever but they still need looking after as far as liquids are concerned dep. upon the beans themselves......and I usually end up adding more liquid as the day goes on.....
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:03 AM   #35
Senior Cook
Smile Love my crockpot!

I love my crockpot!

I brown meats before I add them to my crockpot.

I add a second helping of all the spices, herbs, and seasonings at the very end and stir them in well. What a difference that makes in the taste.

I usually only make soups and stews in my crockpot. I always put the veggies in the bottom with the meat on top.
"When the kitchen smells spicy and wonderful, it can only mean one thing... it's not my kitchen."--- Maxine
Max Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:49 AM   #36
Sous Chef
Reading over this old post since it was bumped up. I do appreciate your suggestions, believe me, I knew all the tricks and I've tried them all. . . types of meat to use, browning, seasoning, length of cooking times, etc. I still have my crockpots. I do use them to stew a chicken, cook beans and serve soups, chili etc when I'm having a casual party. I remain befuddled as to why things taste so much better to be when they are cooked on the stovetop or braised in the oven.
PytnPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:53 AM   #37
Head Chef
I know that I liked my 70's era crockpot a lot better than the one I replaced it with. I think it cooks hotter than the other which defeats the purpose for me to use it while at work.
elaine l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:45 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire
over the years i have made many things in the crockpot. my family gobbled them up. if i am having a lot of people then i use my large one. ribs, roast, chops, etc come out great . i do not like chicken in crock-pot unless i am just cooking it to put in something else, all chopped up. also i do not care for game hens in crock-pot. don't like the texture i guess.

i made lots of soups in crock-pot. i am here all day so can keep an eye on it. i check it toward the end about an hour out . sometimes times it is done in less time, then i just put on warm.

i bought a little one for cooking just for my self. it has no real setting for low. wish it did, things done to fast, not really enough times for tastes to meld.

oh well, that's what makes the world go around.
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:39 AM   #39
Executive Chef
A recent episode of Americas Test Kitchen showed a few slow cooker tips.

1) Brown everything in a pan stovetop first.
2)Use chuck, not round. You only need to brown half of the meat.
3)Nearly double the amount of spices including garlic. The potency will deteriorate over long cooking times.

Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote