Interpreting slow cooker recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's funny you mentioned it RP - way back in the late 60's when crock pots suddenly became popular, I was given one. I tried it twice, did everything the recipe said, put the vegies on the bottom, then meat, the seasonings, turned it on for the recommended level and 8 hours later the meat was pretty much done, or at least edible... but the vegies were still rock hard... - go figure :LOL:

It went into the basement never to be seen again.

That's funny you mentioned it RP - way back in the late 60's when crock pots suddenly became popular, I was given one. I tried it twice, did everything the recipe said, put the vegies on the bottom, then meat, the seasonings, turned it on for the recommended level and 8 hours later the meat was pretty much done, or at least edible... but the vegies were still rock hard... - go figure :LOL:

It went into the basement never to be seen again.

We didn't do the veggies with the meat for long cooking times because they always turned to mush.

My first slow cooker/crockpot was fine but it died from overwork. The replacements, several years on, boil on the low setting at a rate that would do for boiling Christmas puddings! I think the makers have fallen foul of the food police who thought the originals didn't cook on a high enough temperature and might give you food poisoning. I find that a casserole/stew cooks in about the same time as it would in the normal oven.

I find mine good for cooking dried beans, (home-made) soups, and lumps of meat, such as a piece of ham or a turkey drumstick, cook better than cubed stewing steak. If adding veg for a stew I don't cut them up into small pieces as I would if using the oven - that way they don't go to mush.

Back
Top Bottom