"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 04-10-2007, 11:31 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Is It OK To Cook Frozen Chicken In A Crock Pot?

I hope so, because I've already started it....

Somebody please tell me it's ok and mean it!!!

sydfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
What is in the crockpot, besides the chicken? How long do you plan on cooking this chicken?

Old 04-10-2007, 12:47 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Mine says don't put frozen food in the crock pot...It can crack. It may take forever to get to the right temp also. I wouldn't take a chance.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:52 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
What is in the crockpot, besides the chicken? How long do you plan on cooking this chicken?
I put some pearl onions, beer, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper, and a little red wine vinegar.

But anyhow, I checked it about 45 minutes after I started it and it was already thaw, so I guess it will work out ok. The chicken sat out for an hour and a half before I put it in the crock pot so it must have thawed enough.

Thanks for the response!!!

:)

sydfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:21 PM   #5
Master Chef

What kind of chicken? Whole? breasts?

What temp?

Cooking a whole frozen chicken in a crock pot is a recipe for food poisoning, if you ask me. It will sit for hours in the temperature danger zone.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:26 PM   #6
Head Chef

Most all crockpot recipes will suggest that you put your vegetables on the bottom and lay your frozen chicken pieces on top because chicken is not so durable.

Last year I put a whole frozen chicken in my crockpot. It was a smaller crockpot (4-5 quarts) so the lid would not fit. I made a foil tent to cover it.

I removed the frozen chicken from the bag which is the hardest part and rinsed it. And like you, I added some seasonings. It cooked from evening and overnight. It was thoroughly cooked and ready to serve mid morning. Of course you have to leave the giblet bag inside but that bag is durable enough and the giblets cook as well. It was real real good.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:59 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
Cooking a whole frozen chicken in a crock pot is a recipe for food poisoning
...and that's one recipe I don't want!!!

I will cook frozen anything in my pressure cooker - but that's a whole different thing. Hopefully because this chicken thawed for 1 1/2 hours AND it was stated that after 1 hour the bird was completely thawed it will turn out. I HOPE!

For some reason jennyema I am assuming this was a whole bird.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:31 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
Most all crockpot recipes will suggest that you put your vegetables on the bottom and lay your frozen chicken pieces on top because chicken is not so durable.

Last year I put a whole frozen chicken in my crockpot. It was a smaller crockpot (4-5 quarts) so the lid would not fit. I made a foil tent to cover it.

I removed the frozen chicken from the bag which is the hardest part and rinsed it. And like you, I added some seasonings. It cooked from evening and overnight. It was thoroughly cooked and ready to serve mid morning. Of course you have to leave the giblet bag inside but that bag is durable enough and the giblets cook as well. It was real real good.
Whew - I didn't even see your response - I'm glad it turned out. And when I did my frozen chicken in my pressure cooker I had to remove the bag after the fact too! lol

Isn't the rule of thumb that as long as the temperature reaches the proper temp for a reasonable amount of time it should be ok?

Old 04-10-2007, 02:32 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue

Whew - I didn't even see your response - I'm glad it turned out. And when I did my frozen chicken in my pressure cooker I had to remove the bag after the fact too! lol

Do you think a whole chicken would be a factor versus separate chicken pieces?

Old 04-10-2007, 02:44 PM   #10
Head Chef

Most people don't realize that they are cooking a partially thawed turkey at Thanksgiving on low heat. That is why the large boned areas cook slower. I looked at the frozen stuffed turkeys again. The instructions recommend that you thaw the product prior to cooking. The stuffing was basically vegetables and rice. Some had wild rice. I guess if you stuff your bird with very cold dressing it would make a difference. I know that people are prone to rolling their birds in layers of aluminium foil and cooking them at low temperatures overnight. I think the way that poultry is processed for the market these days is making a difference from home grown poultry methods. It would seem that many of the food regulations and requirements mandated on the food processing industry is paying off.

Tags
None