Is it possible to bake in a crockpot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocco2010

Assistant Cook
Hello!
Many thanks for your previous replies,Great fun to be here!
One more question if you all would?Is it possible to bake in a crockpot?Do I need some extra implements to do it?.Kindly advice or suggest a site where I can get extended information,Thanks to you all!
rocco.:)

I don't believe you would get very satisfactory results for any number of reasons: Temperature, lack of browning, baking time control, and lack of heat at the top, for just some of the reasons.

It's like digging a post hole with a spoon... you could do it, but a shovel is much more efficient and made for that job. Ovens are made for baking... crock pots are not.

The Dutch oven crowd makes cakes and breads in those slow cookers so I'm not sure why you couldn't bake a cake in a crock pot - but it might be really slow....

My mother used to make pumpkin bread in the crock pot. There was some weird pot she had that went into the crock pot to do it with.

The Dutch oven crowd makes cakes and breads in those slow cookers so I'm not sure why you couldn't bake a cake in a crock pot - but it might be really slow....

That's just it - a Dutch Oven is an oven, and the heat source, whether a stove top, regular oven or a bed of charcoal, can be regulated. Dutch ovens are featured every year in Ruidoso, New Mexico at the Chuck Wagon Cook Off Championship. Everything from buttermilk biscuits to apricot cobbers are baked in them.

But the crock pots that I've seen and used, have only two temperature settings, Low and High. That makes baking pretty uncertain since most recipes call for a specific temperature.

As I said before, it can be done, but if you have access to a regular or toaster oven, why would you want to? It's risky at best.

I have a new crockpot (sorry, can't remember the name of it right now as it is packed away with all my kitchen stuff while we renovate) that is made of a different material than my other ones. This one says you can bake in it, even put it on the stove, with a metal rack that is included. I have so far only used it twice, once to keep veggies hot at a banquet and to make pulled pork, so I haven't tried out these features, but as soon as I get back to normal I plan to. As for baking in your normal crockpot, I would consult the website or phone the company before doing it.

I know I'll be sorry in the morning for saying this. I tried making bread in a crock pot once. It wasn't one of my better ideas. :rolleyes:

None of the manuals that I have for my crocks have recipes for baking in it.
If a recipe does have a need for baking they recommend that you use your oven.

I don't want to rule out " never ever!" that's kind of short sighted. I think if you have a metal baking bread pan, not corning ware, baking in it could possibly be done. An aluminum bread, or medium sized pan might work to. They can be shaped to fit as an insert into your crock. Experiment with it. Might be fun.

Amazon has a few crock cookbooks that you might like.

Not too sure about the recipes on this site.

Crock-Pot Dessert & Snack Recipes

Good luck..

Munky.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom