"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 06-10-2006, 12:57 PM   #1
Cook

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
ISO Crock Pot Chile

Ok, here's the criteria:

1. No beans
2. Something with a kick, but not TNT
3. Pretty Hearty

I have tried a few from various books but to no success.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-10-2006, 03:22 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I would think most recipes for chili would work in a crock pot. What seems to be the problem with using the crock pot?

Old 06-11-2006, 12:45 PM   #3
Cook

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
nothing...just the recipes were not so good
Old 06-11-2006, 01:47 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Why don't you peruse the chili recipes here for some ideas? There are tons of great and different ideas.

As for adapting them to the crockpot, I would brown the meat/veg as called for in any of the recipes, then add to the crockpot with all the other ingredients. You'll have to play around with the time; even if you were using a crockpot adapted recipe, I've found that all crockpots, like all microwaves, are not equal!
Old 06-11-2006, 02:43 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Ditto what marm said.

If you put some uncooked meat in a crockpot for chili (ground beef, steak cubes, pork cubes, etc) you are gonna get way more grease than you bargained for, and you've got better things to do than skim all that stuff off.

The rest kinda depends on why you want to do your chili in the crockpot - so it's done when you get home? so the flavors meld better?

What is it you want to put in your pot with the meat?
Old 08-29-2006, 10:08 AM   #6
Senior Cook

I do my chili in the crock pot. I started out with a basic cookbook recipe years and years ago and built on it. Adding different things along the way. I know most of it off the top of my head, but not all. It seems like I'm always adding to the recipe as I go along. It started in one crock 10 years ago then moved to two crocks and is now in an 18qt roaster. But it goes a long way when I'm done cooking.

You might take a basic recipe and just start adding jalapenos, green pepper, various dried or fresh chiles, anything you think would add to it and eventually create your own unique recipes. The crock is great because you can cook it for 6 hours or 24 days.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:20 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Here's a list of 38 years of chili champions. Click on a name and get their winning recipe (in most cases).
Old 08-29-2006, 11:03 AM   #8
Head Chef

I used to make chili in the crockpot, but I would brown the ground beef first in a skillet. If you use lean ground beef you can probably get by with not draining it. My biggest pot is 3.5 qts, so if I am making a large batch of chili the crockpot is the way to go. I prefer a regular pot though.

Tags
None