ISO: Crock Pot Ham and Beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shannon in KS

Cooking Links Contest Winner
Due to the cold weather, I had this CRAVING for ham and beans and cornbread! My mother makes awesome ham and beans in the pressure cooker.... but I don't have one- yet. :mad: I was checking out the US Senate Bean Soup thread, too, but it looks like it makes ALOT! I have 2 lbs of ham hock, but would also like to make it in a crock pot.... Do beans cook well in a crock pot? Any good recipes out there? I would soooo appreciate it! :)

Shannon, you need to soak your beans before you put them in the crockpot.

The night before, put them in a pot with enough water to cover, bring to a boil, cover and remove from heat. Let stand overnight.
Put a chopped onion in a measuring cup with a couple tbls of bacon grease, nuke for 30 seconds. Put in some chopped garlic. Stir, and continue to nuke by 30 second intervels until onions are tender. Refrigerate until AM.
Next morning, put beans and enough liquid to cover in crockpot with cooked onions and garlic, ham hock, and fresh ground pepper. Cook on low all day.
Check for seasonings. I never put in salt until ham is cooked and I can tell how much salt it has exuded.
I've also heard that if you salt the beans before you cook them, it makes them tough. Any comments? Does anyone know anything about that?

Thanks for the reply! I have heard the same thing about salt making the beans tough, too! I have about 2 cups of beans soaking right now. How far "over" should the water cover?

I'd guess at least 2 inches. I've only used dry limas, which are larger than navy beans. The first time I just covered the beans and the bottom ones had rehydrated nicely, but the ones one top were not ready to cook.

I soak my beans overnight. Then in the morning I add them to my crock pot...I then covering them with water...about 2 - 3 inches above the bean level. I add some freshly ground black pepper (abt. 1/4 tsp), 1 small onion diced, and some sort of ham whether its a hock or pieces I've saved from a ham I'd made previously. I crank the heat up to high and let it cook for about 6 hours. I then taste and add my salt...to taste. NOTE: I've read that for every time you lift the lid on the pot you need to add 20 minutes more cooking time.

Shannon, beans cook great in a crockpot. I made some oven ribs the other day so tomorrow before I head to work, I'm going to make some sort of bean dish. Don't really know what it is, :LOL: . I've got 1 pound of pinto beans and I'm going to add a can of whole tomato, some onions, garlic and bacon. Hopefully it'll turn out good.

Just made bean soup yesterday. After breans were soaked I chopped one onion, 2 stalks celery, chopped ham. Took about 6 slices of bacon and cut up in sm chunks and fried with onions and celery and ham and chopped garlic. Add to beans with 2 cups chicken broth and 2 cups canned tomatoes, salt, pepper to taste. Put in crock pot adn let simmer all day or simmer on stove top. Nothing like hot soup on a cold windy winter day.

Back
Top Bottom