"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers
Old 10-01-2007, 05:24 PM   #11
Assistant Cook
scaling with software

I bought the Living Cookbook recipe software, and I enter new recipes into it. It has a feature that will scale a recipe for 6 and recreate it for 4, or 2. Or scale it up, I suppose, although a slow cooker recipe is usually for a crowd, and shouldn't be scaled up too much. Anyway, I'm always cooking just for myself, and I'm trying to break my habit of following a recipe exactly. I always end up eating chicken breasts with asparagus and parmesan cream sauce for days.

ducdebrabant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:23 PM   #12
Assistant Cook
I just discovered DC and came in search of an answer about my crockpot. It's a thread right here at the top. In my experience, I have not had a lot of success with my crockpot recipes when the ingredients are not filling up the pot. I'll make a beef stew and put in as many veggies/meat cubes as I possibly can, add the liquid, and it cooks great. It seems though, with a smaller amount of stuff in it.... it overcooks and is done way earlier than the estimated time. I mean.. HOURS earlier! Frustrating. In my thread, someone said they thought the newer crockpots cook hotter than the old ones. Hmmm.... an interesting theory! Good luck with your recipes and your crockpot.

EmsMommy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:40 AM   #13
Assistant Cook
Slow Cookers

I have the Rival Versaware Pro and I agree that the slow cooker has to be at least half-full. I combined two recipes - one in which you bake red cabbage, brown and white sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, and chopped onion sauteed in butter in the oven; the other in which you cook kielbasa, brown sugar, applesauce, sauerkraut, and garlic. Rather than cook the cabbage recipe in the oven first I figured I could substitute it uncooked for the sauerkraut. The CP was half-full, uncooked, but, of course cooked down after the 5 - 6 hours suggested (low setting). Unfortunately, it was overdone. The kielbasa was very soft and the cabbage had no crunch left. I was surprised about the cabbage since the original recipe called for canned sauerkraut and my cabbage started out raw. The flavor was great. I assume that the meal was overdone due to not enough food in the pot, but I wonder if the sugar (3/4 c) also contributed to the softness. I used a whole med head of cabbage. I thought I would cut back on the sugar next time, and cut a couple of hours off the cooking time. Any thoughts would be appreciated. LisaD

LisaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:40 PM   #14
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
You'll find the only difference is how high up the ring is that you have to scrub off the inside of the crock.
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:21 PM   #15
Senior Cook
Hamilton Beach has a new slow cooker..comes with 3 diferent size crocks..small to large..I believe its called The 3 in one slow cooker.
sage™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:00 PM   #16
Assistant Cook
Slow Cooker

Thanks, Sage. I wish I had seen the HB when I was researching slow cookers. Next time... LisaD

LisaD is offline   Reply With Quote