"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers
Old 10-21-2007, 01:05 PM   #1
ISO help creating cherry-chicken recipe

I really want to make dark cherries and chicken work out together in a slow cooker. Has anyone got any suggestions for the details or am I just going to have to start wildly experimenting?

watermelonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:16 PM   #2
Head Chef
Wow, that might be tough. Cherries have a very strong flavor, chicken is mild. Slow cooked I think you might have trouble with the cherries overwhelming the chicken.

About the only way I can think of doing it would be to make a dressing with bread crumbs, cherries etc. Add the chicken and chicken broth to it and let it cook in the cooker.

Jeff G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:37 PM   #3
Well, I've found this, how does it sound?

* 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 1 (4 pound) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1/2 cup all-purpose flour for dusting
* 1 (15 ounce) can pitted dark cherries packed in water
* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 1 tablespoon cornstarch
* 1 orange - with peel, quartered and thinly sliced
* 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted

1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then coat with flour. Fry in the hot oil until browned, turning as needed. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook for about 25 minutes or until meat is tender and juices run clear.
2. Remove the chicken from the pan, and pour off all but 1/4 cup of the drippings. Return to medium heat and stir in the cherries, reserving some of the cherry liquid for later. Stir in sugar and bring to a boil. Dissolve the cornstarch in the reserved cherry liquid, then stir into the pan. Cook, stirring gently, until thickened.
3. Add orange slices and almonds to the skillet, then return the chicken pieces to the skillet. Spoon sauce over the chicken to coat, and simmer over low heat for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:24 AM   #4
Any opinions on how this would turn out?
Old 10-30-2007, 11:16 AM   #5
Executive Chef
I'd say give it a whirl! It sounds interesting to me.

A couple years ago, I did a sauteed Quail recipe, and made the sauce from sauteed shallots, dried cherries (reconstituted), and chicken stock. It was good.

When I lived up in Michigan, we did a dish called "Traverse City Chicken". Traverse City is known for producing dried cherries. The dish is made by sauteing chicken breasts, than making a pan sauce with shallots, deglazing with Kirsch and cream, add adding some dried cherries.
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote