ISO help/tips w/crock-pot ribs (beef)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpeikes

Senior Cook
i love ribs. I know the best was to do it is low and slow, so I figure a crockpot is a good option. I am kosher so no pok ribs only beef. I am thinking b/c of the size I should go w/ short ribs instead of back ribs. Any suggestions on sauce and cooking methods and if you think short ribs are a good idea?

Short ribs will do just fine.Any type of bottles sauce works.Just pour it over your ribs.Set it on high and let them cook all day.The longer you allow them to cook the better.

Here's my sauce.If you use it for the crock omit the salt.If you add it it will be too salty.It's perfect for grillin' :)

Munky's Bbq Sauce

3 cups ketchup
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
2 teaspoons kitchen bouquet
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons seasoning salt
fresh ground pepper
Adjust the seasonings to suit your tastes.If you would prefer to use fresh garlic and onions,that's even better.

In a large bowl add the ketchup,spices,mix well.
Then add mustard,kitchen bouquet mix well
Add the brown sugar

Cover and leave it at room temperature until ready to use.

Store left overs in a tight sealing container in the fridge for up to 1 week.

Other variants could include

Crushed Pineapple
Lemon juice
Cajun spices

Enjoy

Munky.

I love short ribs cooked in a crock pot. I don't bbq them, though.
I usually use 3-4 lbs of ribs, salt and pepper them and brown them well in a fry pan. I slice 2 large onions thickly, and 6-8 carrots into 2 inch pieces. Place all of the carrots and 1half of the onions in the crock pot, top with half of the ribs. Top with the rest of the onions and top with the ribs.
I add 1 tbsp of tomato paste to 2/12 cups of beef stock, a Knorrs beef bouillion cube and a little salt and pepper and 2 bay leaves.

Cover the crock pot and cook on high for one hour. Then turn to low and cook for 7-8 more hours. They are tender and delicious.

I have always cooked my short ribs in the oven, but I will have to try them in the slow cooker! I'm trying to use it more, to save energy and not heat up the kitchen as much. I always brown the ribs, then I use a BBQ sauce that is somewhat similar to the one Chef Munky posted. I will try to find it and will add it.

:)Barbara

To cook ribs in a slow cooker how much sauce do you need? Also do you marinade the ribs before hand? X

SadieBaby. said:
To cook ribs in a slow cooker how much sauce do you need? Also do you marinade the ribs before hand? X

Lol sorry force of habit with that x at the end! :)

Back
Top Bottom