ISO Slow cooker easy dinners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LT72884

Head Chef
Gots me a new crock pot.. I need some wicked awesome simple tasty dinners or fancy entres for the crock pot of mine.

What do you guys cook or make?

One of the most wickedly awesome and easy dinners I make in the crockpot is ribs. Throw some country style pork ribs in there, add your favorite BBQ sauce (I make my own because I like it spicy) and then cook on low all day long (10-12 hours). Serve with cole slaw or potato salad...yummy.

One of the most wickedly awesome and easy dinners I make in the crockpot is ribs. Throw some country style pork ribs in there, add your favorite BBQ sauce (I make my own because I like it spicy) and then cook on low all day long (10-12 hours). Serve with cole slaw or potato salad...yummy.

Can you share your sauce recipe or is it a family secret?

looks like saturday is going to be a good dinner. What if i were to grill them first real quick to give them some added flavor of the smoke and also that unique texture from the grill.

LT, I don't usually measure very accurately when I make this, but I think this is roughly what I do:

Sauté a minced onion and 2-3 cloves of minced garlic in a TBS or so of vegetable oil. Season with at least 2 TBS of chili powder and salt and pepper to taste. Add a cup of ketchup, a small can (8 oz) of tomato sauce, ¼ cup molasses, 2 TBS of cider vinegar, 2 TBS Worcestershire sauce, 2 TBS Dijon mustard and some dried red pepper flakes to taste (I add about a teaspoon). If this is too thick, add some water. Cook on low heat and stir often until flavors are blended (about 20 minutes). Season with salt and pepper to taste. I use a smoked salt that I buy here - not sure if you can buy it in the US.

If you want to get up that early in the morning, you can sure grill them for a few minutes. Grilling them after cooking won't work because they are falling apart...I sometimes brown them before I put them in the crock pot, but I'm not sure that makes much difference.

LT, I don't usually measure very accurately when I make this, but I think this is roughly what I do:

Sauté a minced onion and 2-3 cloves of minced garlic in a TBS or so of vegetable oil. Season with at least 2 TBS of chili powder and salt and pepper to taste. Add a cup of ketchup, a small can (8 oz) of tomato sauce, ¼ cup molasses, 2 TBS of cider vinegar, 2 TBS Worcestershire sauce, 2 TBS Dijon mustard and some dried red pepper flakes to taste (I add about a teaspoon). If this is too thick, add some water. Cook on low heat and stir often until flavors are blended (about 20 minutes). Season with salt and pepper to taste. I use a smoked salt that I buy here - not sure if you can buy it in the US.

If you want to get up that early in the morning, you can sure grill them for a few minutes. Grilling them after cooking won't work because they are falling apart...I sometimes brown them before I put them in the crock pot, but I'm not sure that makes much difference.

oh man, you dont know how much i love you right now.. I have been looking for a great sauce recipe to make..

ill let you know how it goes..

Gots me a new crock pot.. I need some wicked awesome simple tasty dinners or fancy entres for the crock pot of mine.

What do you guys cook or make?

If you want some wonderful slow cooker recipes go to www.google.com and type in "slow cooker recipes." You won't believe how many there are to choose from. I've made several things from these online recipes and they're terrific. Most are tried and true. My all time favorite is BBQ ribs, just like Mexico Karen posted. Ribs or pork steaks and sauerkraut is another one. Chicken thighs in sauce - awesome!

I'm trying this "7 hour lamb roast" in the slow cooker this weekend. I've done a version in the oven that was great & am pretty sure this one is a winner

Here goes:

* leg of lamb
* 6 onions quartered
* 6 carrots quartered
* 1 head garlic peeled and chopped
* 6 bay leaves
* 2 teaspoon thyme
* Salt & Pepper
* 2 bottle of white wine
* 2.5kg potatoes peeled and chopped
* 2 tins crushed tomatoes (440g tins)

Place all ingredients except potatoes and tins of tomatoes in and slow cooker for 5 hours. Then add tomatoes, potatoes and top up liquid if required and cook for 1 hour.

Oops! I found this one while looking for the lamb one.

This is a simple way of making traditional Hawaiian kalua pig without having to dig a hole in your back yard. This stuff is scary-good.

1 (6 lb) pork butt
1 1/2 tablespoons Hawaiian sea salt
1 tablespoon liquid smoke flavoring

1 head garlic

1. Pierce pork all over with a carving fork.
2. Rub salt then liquid smoke over meat.

2½. cut slits in meat press in garlic cloves
3. Place roast in a slow cooker.
4. Cover, and cook on Low for 16 to 20 hours, turning once during cooking time.
5. Remove meat from slow cooker, and shred, adding drippings as needed to moisten

I trying this "7 hour lamb roast" in the slow cooker this weekend. I've done a version in the oven that was great & am pretty sure this one is a winner

Here goes:

* leg of lamb
* 6 onions quartered
* 6 carrots quartered
* 1 head garlic peeled and chopped
* 6 bay leaves
* 2 teaspoon thyme
* Salt & Pepper
* 2 bottle of white wine
* 2.5kg potatoes peeled and chopped
* 2 tins crushed tomatoes (440g tins)

Place all ingredients except potatoes and tins of tomatoes in and slow cooker for 5 hours. Then add tomatoes, potatoes and top up liquid if required and cook for 1 hour.

Interesting! A 7 hour lamb roast for which you give a recipe for a 6 hour slow cooker recipe! I don`t think so!

* What weight is the leg of lamb?
* 2 bottles of white wine may be OK when roasting and allowing for the evaporation occurs which occurs when roasting (open pan) but when cooking in a Slow-Cooker (closed pan), such evaporation does not occur and thus the liquid you advise - maybe a tad too much! (About a bottle too much, IMHO!) Also, any fat in the lamb will simply melt and give a rather fatty sauce.
* 2.5kg potatoes "chopped" cook in one hour? What size are the potato bits?
* How many people does this recipe serve?
* What size of slow-cooker does one need to make it?
* IMHO, the leg of lamb should be pierced and bits of garlic and anchovy fillets inserted together with sprigs of thyme or rosemary, but that`s just, MHO.

Sorry, but your recipe won`t work IMHO. I`ve no doubt that I`ll be told off for this. After all, I`ve committed the cardinal sin of saying that your recipe won`t work before!. BUT, until such time as someone cooks a LEG (weight not given) of lamb with 2 bottles of wine (1500mls) for 6 hours in a slow-cooker and adds in the last hour 2.5 kg of peeled and "chopped" potatoes for a recipe designed to be a 7 hour Roast of leg of lamb, I`ll remain sceptical.

Regards,
Archiduc

"I'm trying this "7 hour lamb roast" in the slow cooker this weekend"
I hate quoting myself;)

Lots of questions

6,7,8 hours whatever it takes.
9 Lbs.
Yep you're right the recipe should call for 1 bottle of wine.
I may use the high setting.
Might even take the lid off.
I could trim the fat.
Give or take on the spuds.
13, that's bad luck I may have to ask someone to leave
A big heavy one
Eeww! anchovies are gross! I'll season the meat, not sure how yet.

Bye

I'll let you know how it turns out.

I couldn't wait to reply to the "7 hour lamb" recipe til I saw that Archduc beat me to it, and everything said is right on. Two bottles of wine is a tremendous amount of liquid for a slow cooker. The appliance tends to create more liquid than you put into it and you would be over the top with 2 bottles of wine. Even the one bottle you plan on using is a lot of wine.
Frankly, I think a leg of lamb is too good to "boil" which is what you would technically be doing with a pot full of liquid in a slow cooker. The slow cooker was originally invented to give the working or active cook a way of cooking tough cuts of meat requiring long cooking without having to stay home and stand over the oven for hours.

Leg of lamb is one of the best cuts of meat for roasting. If you're going to put it in your slow cooker, I would think about the amount of wine and cut it to 1 1/2 cups.

AND if you leave the lid off, nothing will cook at all. The cooker has to be left alone. Every time you lift the lid you must add another 20 minutes of cooking time. Because the temperature of the slow cooker is very low, it takes a lot of time to recoup after lifting the lid. You really need to read your manual. There is a wealth of information on your appliance there. You'll find a whole section on potatoes. They have to be cut fairly small and put into the pot UNDER the lamb when you start cooking not one hour before done everything else is done. Potatoes and carrots take the most time to cook. Slow cookers are wonderful pots but you gotta know watcherdoin. :)

This is one of my favorite chicken recipes:

-3 lbs. chicken, cut up (thighs are really good)
-salt and pepper
-1/2 cup chopped green onions (use 1/4 cup in the crockpot while cooking and then use the rest for garnish on the noodles)
-1/2 cup soy sauce
-1/4 cup dry white wine (you could substitute chicken broth)
-1/2 cup water
1/2 cup honey

Salt and pepper chicken...place in crockpot. Combine onion, soy sauce, wine and water. Pour over chicken.

Cover and cook on low for 3+ hours until chicken is tender. I think one time it took 4 hours as the chicken pieces were really big. Remove chicken and arrange on broiler pan. Brush with honey and broil until golden brown. Brush with honey several times.

I like to serve this with egg noodles that have been lightly buttered and splashed with soy sauce and sesame seeds. A little sesame oil is good too.

The honey makes it wonderfully sticky and good! :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom