"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-05-2007, 09:09 PM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Dancer in the kitchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 130
Meat cooked/Veggies didn't

I got a recipe from the Foodnetwork for pot roast. It sounded really good & basically they said to cook it on low for 12 hours. I think my first mistake was that I used the wrong cut of meat. I used a London Broil (I know, but it was on sale) & it came out almost liver-like in texture. AND the veggies weren't cooked all the way!

I can understand the meat not turning out, but why didn't the veggies finish cooking? It contained parsnips, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes & baby carrots. I salted & peppered the meat & coated it with flour. Then I made a mixture of diced tomatoes, maple syrup, corriander (my husband hates cumin & this seems to be a good sub), onion & garlic powder & poured it over the whole thing. The meat was supposed to shred apart. I ended up slicing it. My family ate it, but I sure didn't care for it.

Advice?

__________________

__________________
Dancer in the kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:04 AM   #2
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,655
oven or crock pot? what temp? did you slice veggies same size or leave whole or? all of this info matters in helping you figure out what happened.
__________________

__________________
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:10 AM   #3
Senior Cook
 
Dancer in the kitchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 130
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
oven or crock pot? what temp? did you slice veggies same size or leave whole or? all of this info matters in helping you figure out what happened.
It was in the crock pot on low & the veggies were sliced relatively all the same size. I have to think it was the cut of meat I used that caused it to be so icky. What also puzzled me was that the sweet potatoes DID cook, but the regular ones (Idaho) were still a bit crunchy. I thought sweet potatoes were more dense.

Thanks for the response!
__________________
Dancer in the kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:43 AM   #4
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Maryland
Posts: 1,189
Hi Dance,
I'm not 100% sure about this, but many years ago when I got my 1st crock pot I believe the book that came with it recommended putting the veggies on the bottom of the pot and the meat on top of the veggies.
I could be wrong though, that was a looooooong time ago
__________________
"You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand. The things you think are precious I can't understand" STEELY DAN.
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:55 AM   #5
Assistant Cook
 
chasinmichigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 28
this is just a guess here but i'm almost thinking it was either the temperature or maybe the crockpot wasnt functioning properly. i usually set my crock at medium or if you dont have a medium setting start it off at high for an hour then kick it down to low for the remainder and of course certain veggies take longer to cook than others. i have been fighting the pot roast battle for years and found a dutch oven to be the best option for myself.
__________________
"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens" Jimi Hendrix.
chasinmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:19 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
I am thinking the same as chasinmichigan. It almost sounds like a malfunction. Afte2 12 hours those veggies should have been cooked.

JohnL is right about the veggies going on the bottom. I am really not sure if that would have made the difference, but it might have.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:53 AM   #7
Senior Cook
 
Dancer in the kitchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 130
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL
Hi Dance,
I'm not 100% sure about this, but many years ago when I got my 1st crock pot I believe the book that came with it recommended putting the veggies on the bottom of the pot and the meat on top of the veggies.
I could be wrong though, that was a looooooong time ago
That's what the recipe recommended. So your memory serves you well. You just brought to mind that maybe I put too many veggies? I did have to take some out cuz it was too full. Maybe I should've kept going.
__________________
Dancer in the kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:01 AM   #8
Senior Cook
 
Dancer in the kitchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 130
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasinmichigan
this is just a guess here but i'm almost thinking it was either the temperature or maybe the crockpot wasnt functioning properly. i usually set my crock at medium or if you dont have a medium setting start it off at high for an hour then kick it down to low for the remainder and of course certain veggies take longer to cook than others. i have been fighting the pot roast battle for years and found a dutch oven to be the best option for myself.
I have to agree with you on that one. I always wonder about keeping it on low for all that time. I have heard about cooking on high the first hour & then dropping the temperature. 'Course that was for turkeys, maybe it holds true for crock pots as well. Plus I have no idea how old the crock pot is. I think I will go with your advice & set it to medium or at the very least med/low.

Thanks! A lot of food for thought (pun intended)!
__________________
Dancer in the kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:55 AM   #9
Executive Chef
 
Corey123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: East Boston, MA.
Posts: 2,881
I usually add the weggies during the last 1/2 hour of cooking the roast or beef stew, and that's usually after I've thickened the juice to make brown gravy to the meat.

Some veggies you can add during startup, but things like potatoes and carrots, I think, should be added during the last 30 to 45 minutes because they cook up reasonably quick, and if you add them when you start braising the meat, you'll more than likely end up with mush.
__________________
Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:20 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kitchenelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,725
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer in the kitchen
I got a recipe from the Foodnetwork for pot roast. It sounded really good & basically they said to cook it on low for 12 hours. I think my first mistake was that I used the wrong cut of meat. I used a London Broil (I know, but it was on sale) & it came out almost liver-like in texture. AND the veggies weren't cooked all the way!

I can understand the meat not turning out, but why didn't the veggies finish cooking? It contained parsnips, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes & baby carrots. I salted & peppered the meat & coated it with flour. Then I made a mixture of diced tomatoes, maple syrup, corriander (my husband hates cumin & this seems to be a good sub), onion & garlic powder & poured it over the whole thing. The meat was supposed to shred apart. I ended up slicing it. My family ate it, but I sure didn't care for it.

Advice?
I guess you now know that that cut of meat should be cooked quickly and to medium rare at the most.

Wow - I would assume that the steam would have cooked the veggies too but I'm like everyone else and put them under the meat.
__________________

__________________
kitchenelf

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.