"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 11-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #11
Master Chef

Here's mine, vegetarian style:

5 medium sized red rose, white rose, or yukon gold potatoes, washed and diced
5 blue, or purple potatoes, washed and halved
1 large, yellow onion, peeled and coarsely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups peeled and diced rutabaga
2 stalks celery, washed and sliced
2 orange carrots, peeled and sliced
1/2 tsp. mesquite flavored Liquid Smoke
1/2 cup TVP (textured vegetable protien)
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning (optional)
6 tbs. butter
3 cups milk

In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour, salt, and nutmeg. and Old Bay. Stir to combine. Cook until the flour just starts to brown. This is called a blonde roux.

Slowly whisk the milk into the roux. It will turn very thick and pasty at first. As you continue to whisk in the milk, it will become silky smooth and wonderful. Add the remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer until the veggies are tender. Serve piping hot. Top with grated, cheddar cheese if desired.

The addition of rutabagas really add a wonderful flavor to this version.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Hmm. Looking over this thread, I'm thinking potato soup (with bacon) will be on the menu! And as much as I despise sweet potatoes, I have a few nice sized tubers after digging up my ornamental vines that I might add to the pot, thanks to Chief's rec about rutabagas.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #13
Sous Chef

We make potato soup the way my grandma told us. It works for any quantity. Peel and slice as many potatoes that you think your family will eat, ditto leeks or onions and celery. We do about 1/2 potatoes, 1/4 leeks (or onions), 1/4 celery. Add water to barely cover the veggies (too much water equal diluted soup), salt and pepper, simmer until almost tender, add a cube of butter (or two) and cream. You can then add what every you want bacon, ham, brocolli, carrots, clams. You can use some broth for the liquid if that's what you like. It's a very flexible method.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvine View Post
We make potato soup the way my grandma told us. It works for any quantity. Peel and slice as many potatoes that you think your family will eat, ditto leeks or onions and celery. We do about 1/2 potatoes, 1/4 leeks (or onions), 1/4 celery. Add water to barely cover the veggies (too much water equal diluted soup), salt and pepper, simmer until almost tender, add a cube of butter (or two) and cream. You can then add what every you want bacon, ham, brocolli, carrots, clams. You can use some broth for the liquid if that's what you like. It's a very flexible method.
That is the potato soup I grew up with. Instead of cream we added a can of evaporated milk or a can of creamed corn.

I'm ready for winter food!
Old 11-03-2013, 05:53 AM   #15
Head Chef

Leek and potato gets my vote sometimes it doesn't need to be any more complicated than that.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #16
Master Chef

This morning I made a small, two bowl, pot of potato soup using the Oldvine method. I did mix up a slurry of cornstarch and water to give the soup a little body and a big pinch of cayenne to give it a little kick. A perfect brunch on a crisp sunny November morning. The second bowl should be better than the first. I need to put this easy, tasty, inexpensive soup into my regular rotation for the winter.

Basic potato soup was referred to as Depression soup. I read a story written by an old woman that grew up during the Depression. The woman reminisced about how she and her brother could tell how the family was doing by the potato soup. When times were desperate the soup consisted of bacon fat, onion, potato and water. As things improved a little milk was added and when things were back to normal bits of bacon could be seen floating in the soup.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #17
Master Chef

So many good sounding faves here. Simmering some cream of broccoli/potato soup right now....smells so good, can't wait till it's done.

Tags
None