Need Potato Soup Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ghodur

Assistant Cook
I have cream to use up, so I'd like to make a good slow cooker potato soup that uses cream and no meat, as I will be serving this to my vegetarian daughter. Anybody have a recipe?

I was just about to post my recipe when I saw "no meat" sorry! Mine has bacon in it. Good luck!

My family ♥'s this Recipe!!!!

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

3 lbs. Red Potatoes
1/4 cup Margarine Melted
1/4 cup Flour
8 cups half and half
1 (16 oz) block Velveeta cheese, melted
White Pepper (to taste)
Garlic Powder (to taste)
1 tsp. Hot Pepper Sauce
1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
1/2 cup fresh chives, chopped (optional)
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped (optional)

Dice unpeeled red potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes. Place in a large dutch oven, cover with water and bring to a boil. Let boil for 10 minutes or until 3/4 cooked.

In a separate large Dutch oven, combine melted margarine and flour, mixing until smooth. Place over low heat and gradually add half and half, stirring constantly. Continue to stir until smooth and liquid begins to thicken.

Add melted Velveeta. Stir well.

Drain potatoes and add to cream mixture. Stir in pepper, garlic powder and hot pepper sauce. Cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally

Place soup into individual serving bowls and top with shredded cheese, chives and parsley.

Here's what I went with, minus the bacon bits:

Recipe: Crockpot Potato Soup

Labels: Slow Cooker; Soups & Stews; Vegetarian

Ingredients:
6 baking potatoes, peeled and diced
1 C chopped onion
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 ribs celery, sliced
4 C chicken broth
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 C all purpose flour
1 1/4 C cream
Bacon bits, chopped green onions, shredded cheese

Directions:
Spray the crock with nonstick spray. In the crock, put everything up through the salt and pepper. Cover and cook on high 3 hours til vegetables are tender.
Whisk together flour and cream and add to the pot. Cover and cook 30 min longer til thickened. Serve with desired toppings.

This is mine. You shall omit of the ham.

There are very nice suggestions of this here!

Potato, Ham and Cheese Soup
The recipe of my mother is different but is much as same.

2 cans Campbell cream of potato soup
1 and 1/2 soup cans of milk
1 package diced or cubed ham
1 bag shredded sharp cheddar cheese 2 cup package
Garlic and cheddar crouton

Fix soup and milk to instruction on the can and heat until it boiling a little. Wisk to make creamy.
Add ham and cheese and heat and wisk many times to when cheese melted all over.

Stand it off burners for 5 minutes before serving.

Serve in bowls with 5-6 croutons on top.

Make six servings. Could add a lettuce salad by it.

With love,
~Cat

Yep,
Cut your potatoes, about 2-3 depending on size into 1/2" cubes, if you like/have leeks then slice one thinly and saute in a little butter (or marg if you prefer) Add potatoes and simmer in 1pt water or vegetable stock until potatoes are soft. About 10mins is usual so no need for slow cooker really. Season to taste with S&P ( I use white pepper for this but hey, whatever you like) and stir in about 1/4pt cream. I am being flexable on the amounts because I don't know how many you are cooking for etc. This would make 2 decent servings

Here's mine, vegetarian style:

5 medium sized red rose, white rose, or yukon gold potatoes, washed and diced
5 blue, or purple potatoes, washed and halved
1 large, yellow onion, peeled and coarsely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups peeled and diced rutabaga
2 stalks celery, washed and sliced
2 orange carrots, peeled and sliced
1/2 tsp. mesquite flavored Liquid Smoke
1/2 cup TVP (textured vegetable protien)
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning (optional)
6 tbs. butter
3 cups milk

In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour, salt, and nutmeg. and Old Bay. Stir to combine. Cook until the flour just starts to brown. This is called a blonde roux.

Slowly whisk the milk into the roux. It will turn very thick and pasty at first. As you continue to whisk in the milk, it will become silky smooth and wonderful. Add the remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer until the veggies are tender. Serve piping hot. Top with grated, cheddar cheese if desired.

The addition of rutabagas really add a wonderful flavor to this version.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Hmm. Looking over this thread, I'm thinking potato soup (with bacon) will be on the menu! And as much as I despise sweet potatoes, I have a few nice sized tubers after digging up my ornamental vines that I might add to the pot, thanks to Chief's rec about rutabagas.

We make potato soup the way my grandma told us. It works for any quantity. Peel and slice as many potatoes that you think your family will eat, ditto leeks or onions and celery. We do about 1/2 potatoes, 1/4 leeks (or onions), 1/4 celery. Add water to barely cover the veggies (too much water equal diluted soup), salt and pepper, simmer until almost tender, add a cube of butter (or two) and cream. You can then add what every you want bacon, ham, brocolli, carrots, clams. You can use some broth for the liquid if that's what you like. It's a very flexible method.

We make potato soup the way my grandma told us. It works for any quantity. Peel and slice as many potatoes that you think your family will eat, ditto leeks or onions and celery. We do about 1/2 potatoes, 1/4 leeks (or onions), 1/4 celery. Add water to barely cover the veggies (too much water equal diluted soup), salt and pepper, simmer until almost tender, add a cube of butter (or two) and cream. You can then add what every you want bacon, ham, brocolli, carrots, clams. You can use some broth for the liquid if that's what you like. It's a very flexible method.

That is the potato soup I grew up with. Instead of cream we added a can of evaporated milk or a can of creamed corn.

I'm ready for winter food! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

This morning I made a small, two bowl, pot of potato soup using the Oldvine method. I did mix up a slurry of cornstarch and water to give the soup a little body and a big pinch of cayenne to give it a little kick. A perfect brunch on a crisp sunny November morning. The second bowl should be better than the first. I need to put this easy, tasty, inexpensive soup into my regular rotation for the winter. :yum:

Basic potato soup was referred to as Depression soup. I read a story written by an old woman that grew up during the Depression. The woman reminisced about how she and her brother could tell how the family was doing by the potato soup. When times were desperate the soup consisted of bacon fat, onion, potato and water. As things improved a little milk was added and when things were back to normal bits of bacon could be seen floating in the soup.

So many good sounding faves here. Simmering some cream of broccoli/potato soup right now....smells so good, can't wait till it's done. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom