"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 09-26-2005, 09:24 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

I find that if you cook on the low setting then you can let it cook for many more hours than the recipe calls for. Like Alix suggested, you might want to use just a little more liquid, but depending on the recipe you might not even need to do that. I have gone 12 hours many times and sometimes even longer and never had a problem.

Old 09-26-2005, 02:02 PM   #12
Master Chef

Mud, I used to set a timer (just a plug-in wall kind) for it to turn on mid-morning and then would have hubby switch it to the "keep warm" setting when he got home (since he'd get home before me). The three-setting option is a god-send to me (hi, lo, and keep warm). So maybe between setting a timer and having your daughter switch it to keep warm when she gets home, it can work for you.

Here's a recipe you'll like!

Shrimp Jambalaya (crock pot) (TNT)
1 lb boneless, skinless, chicken thighs, cut into 2 pieces
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1 medium green pepper, cut into 1 pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes, with liquid
1 Tbsp white sugar
tsp salt
tsp dried Italian seasoning
tsp cayenne pepper
1 bay leaf
1 c uncooked orzo pasta*
1 lb cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined

In a slow cooker, mix chicken, celery, green bell pepper, onion, garlic, tomatoes, with liquid, sugar, salt, Italian seasoning, cayenne pepper, and bay leaf. Cover and cook on low 7-9 hours.

Remove bay leaf from the chicken mixture, and stir in orzo. Increase heat to high. Cook 15 minutes or until orzo is tender.

Stir in shrimp, cook 2 minutes, until shrimp are heated through.

* I've made this before and omitted the orzo step, simply serving it over white rice.

Old 09-27-2005, 05:27 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I would mos' definitely love your crockpot jambalaya, PA. thanks! (thought I responded to this thread before now, hmmmmmmmmmm).

Will try the Alix/geebs method of 12 hours, extra juice, and low temp.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:50 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Many of you have suggested extra liquid for longer cooking times, but the book that came with my crockpot says when you are converting a recipe fromoven to crockpot you should reduce the liquid due to the fact there is less evaporation with a crockpot. Mine is the kind with 2 settings, not one of the ones that has a full range of temperatures and the liner is stoneware (probably glazed since it has a shiney finish). Maybe you want to try some recipes on days you are home and measure how much liquid you use. I know with my pork chops, if I add what I think would be right, I end up with too much very runny gravy. By not even covering the chops, I end up with less (but more than enough) gravy that is a bit thicker. Sometimes I even have to take the lid off and raise the heat to high to get it a little thicker.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:20 AM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrfectlydevine
Many of you have suggested extra liquid for longer cooking times, but the book that came with my crockpot says when you are converting a recipe fromoven to crockpot you should reduce the liquid due to the fact there is less evaporation with a crockpot.
Yes this is absolutely true if you are converting from oven to Crockpot, but since she is just looking to cook something in her Crockpot a few hours longer than needed that is why she may need extra liquid.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:45 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Mud, what are the settings on your cooker? Does it have a warm capacity and will it switch over? I have a programmable one, and the cooking time can go to 10 hours. It will switch over to warm. Might be worthwhile to spend a few $, to have dinner ready when you need it.

If you have the manual that came with, it should have some recipes/cooking times so you can adapt to your schedule. Plugging it into a timer (one you would use to turn on/off lights), was my first thought.

You could prepare the night ahead, i.e. at about 8:00 PM put ingredients in the cooker & let it cook over night. In the morning, let it cool, put it in a casserole dish/dutch oven, cover & refrigerate. When you get home, nuke it.

There are several recipes on the net like "All Day Long..." I wouldn't do pasta, as it cooks very quickly & needs to be submerged in sauce & broken up. Add it in during the end of cooking time. A roast, veggies and taters are a good bet, or cooking up a bunch of chicken pieces & putting them in zip locks to freeze and grab when you need em.

Some older cookers do not get as hot as the newer ones. If it's an older cooker, you might be able to cook it longer on low, depending on the settings for your pot.

Try foods that cook very quickly to put in when you get home (if you have a few hours), like meatballs & pasta dishes.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:37 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks, mish, for some good ideas. I have two cookers - both non-programmable, but they both have the "warm" setting.

I'm doing the beef stew today in the smaller one (on high, 4 hours) for a test run. Usually we've only used this thing to make Rotel dip for New Year's Day. I did not brown the meat first, so this will be an interesting experiment.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:43 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to SueBear
How about coming home around lunch time, getting something started then have your daughter turn it down on low when she comes home to change the cook time for it so it's ready by the time you walk in the door?

Just a thought.

Sue

Tags
None