"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2017, 01:22 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Rick, I have a 30 yr old crockpot and it never simmered on high. I've only kept it for buffet serving, but I love my multiple temp. (150-425) Nesco Roaster I've used for 30 yrs.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:52 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I have always made a flour slurry in a jar with Kitchen Bouquet or Gravy Master. Put the cover on and shake like mad.

When I had my slow cooker, I would place the slurry in a small saucepan over low heat, and slowly add a lot of the juice or broth from the slow cooker. Then let it simmer until thickened and return to slow cooker. I know it sounds like more work, and it is. But I never had a failure with it.

What I don't like with the cornstarch, is that it fails when the food cools down and the liquid separates. With flour it holds up the gravy until the last mouthful.

Old 11-12-2017, 03:01 PM   #13
Master Chef

I used to do stew & pot roast simmered on the stove for hours till meat got tender. I never liked a crock pot so stopped using it after only a couple of uses. I use it like K, to keep things like pre-cooked homemade mac and chees, cheese fondue etc. warm.

I LOVE my Instant Pot. Stew/Pot Roast in 35 - 40 minutes under pressure. Then switch to Sauté mode and bring liquid up to boil and thicken with highly seasoned beurre manie.
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:56 PM   #14
Executive Chef

You could always take the meat out and most of the veges, then use the immersion blender to puree the veges left in the liquid to thicken. I've done that before.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:54 AM   #15
Cook

Wow. Thanks for all the replies.
My Crock Pot runs hot. It usually starts to simmer after 6 hrs. or so. If I add my thickener in about an hour before its done, I should have it thick enough. Probably use a roux. Have to cook it on the stove first. Never liked thee taste of raw flour. Noticed no one mentioned arrowroot. I used to use it years and years ago. But forgot how to use it.
Thanks for the help/ideas.

I didn't do it, and you can't prove it!
anonymous
milford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:14 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I don't use a crock pot anymore, but when I did, I used mashed potato flakes to thicken it. Because you don't have any heat control to cook out the raw taste of flour, the potato flakes work well. I now use a Nesco Roaster and I can make a proper simmering gravy with a flour slurry.
I like this idea the best.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:29 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Charlie, it's an easy fix, and the potato flakes add a bit of extra nutrition.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #18
Sous Chef

I think a couple of people said arrowroot.

My crock pot stuff has been subsemed into pressure cooker stuff, as I have a pressure cooker.

However, a little flour and butter together as a roux, stirred in can make a slow cooker stew solid up, I assume you are making stew in the slow cooker, but want that meaty stew broth? And a bit of cornstarch helps for that. Try not to add salt, it never helps.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:58 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by milford View Post
Noticed no one mentioned arrowroot. I used to use it years and years ago. But forgot how to use it.
Thanks for the help/ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
If not a flour roux, then I'd use arrowroot since it wouldn't add or change the flavor.

Ahem...

Tags
beef, stew