Need Thickener for Beef Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milford

Cook
Trying a Beef Stew recipe in my Crock Pot. Can someone suggest a thickener to add to the stew to thicken it up?

Flour(roux), Cornstarch, Arrowroot, Instant Potato Flakes or Tapioca. Which would thicken better with no aftertaste?

Last edited:
Flour would be the traditional choice. You could make a roux and darken it for added flavor. You could make a buerre manie. Knead butter and flour together and whisk bits into the stew until you reach the desired thickness. You could make a flour and water slurry and whisk it into the stew.

The others will also thicken but your stew will look/feel different from the traditional flour.

I don't use a crock pot anymore, but when I did, I used mashed potato flakes to thicken it. Because you don't have any heat control to cook out the raw taste of flour, the potato flakes work well. I now use a Nesco Roaster and I can make a proper simmering gravy with a flour slurry.

Last edited:
I prefer to thicken with a medium brown roux, using the broth from the stews to make a thick sauce that is added to the pot to bind the other ingredients. DW prefers a cornstarch slurry as it's what she grew up with. Stay away from tapioca starch/flour as it can give you a slimy texture, though it is my prefered thickener for blueberry pie.

Also, remember to season yur roux, and don't scorch it.:ohmy:

You will make a great stew. I just know it.

Seeeeeeya. Chief Longwind of the North

I like to thicken with a roux, but that kind of goes against the reason one uses a crock pot. I would probably make a cornstarch slurry to add toward the end of cooking. Just remember, a slurry won't thicken unless you bring your liquid to a boil or simmer. Just my two-cents.

CD

I'm with Andy. I use a beurre manie for this. Works great as long as you can let it simmer for a few minutes to thicken and cook the flour. Just use one part flour to one part room temp butter, then make sure that you mix the butter and flour well before adding it to the gravy.

I like to thicken with a roux, but that kind of goes against the reason one uses a crock pot. I would probably make a cornstarch slurry to add toward the end of cooking. Just remember, a slurry won't thicken unless you bring your liquid to a boil or simmer. Just my two-cents.

CD

I'm with Andy. I use a beurre manie for this. Works great as long as you can let it simmer for a few minutes to thicken and cook the flour. Just use one part flour to one part room temp butter, then make sure that you mix the butter and flour well before adding it to the gravy.

The OP is using a traditional crockpot for the stew. Simmering isn't an option.

The OP is using a traditional crockpot for the stew. Simmering isn't an option.

We have a newer crock pot but still with just 2 temp settings. It will still simmer when set on high, just like my mom's original crock pot did umpteen years ago. It should thicken up nicely if it's given 30 minutes or so to work.

Rick, I have a 30 yr old crockpot and it never simmered on high. I've only kept it for buffet serving, but I love my multiple temp. (150-425) Nesco Roaster I've used for 30 yrs.

I have always made a flour slurry in a jar with Kitchen Bouquet or Gravy Master. Put the cover on and shake like mad.

When I had my slow cooker, I would place the slurry in a small saucepan over low heat, and slowly add a lot of the juice or broth from the slow cooker. Then let it simmer until thickened and return to slow cooker. I know it sounds like more work, and it is. But I never had a failure with it.

What I don't like with the cornstarch, is that it fails when the food cools down and the liquid separates. With flour it holds up the gravy until the last mouthful.

I used to do stew & pot roast simmered on the stove for hours till meat got tender. I never liked a crock pot so stopped using it after only a couple of uses. I use it like K, to keep things like pre-cooked homemade mac and chees, cheese fondue etc. warm.

I LOVE my Instant Pot. Stew/Pot Roast in 35 - 40 minutes under pressure. Then switch to Sauté mode and bring liquid up to boil and thicken with highly seasoned beurre manie.

You could always take the meat out and most of the veges, then use the immersion blender to puree the veges left in the liquid to thicken. I've done that before.

Wow. Thanks for all the replies.
My Crock Pot runs hot. It usually starts to simmer after 6 hrs. or so. If I add my thickener in about an hour before its done, I should have it thick enough. Probably use a roux. Have to cook it on the stove first. Never liked thee taste of raw flour. Noticed no one mentioned arrowroot. I used to use it years and years ago. But forgot how to use it.
Thanks for the help/ideas.

Last edited:
I don't use a crock pot anymore, but when I did, I used mashed potato flakes to thicken it. Because you don't have any heat control to cook out the raw taste of flour, the potato flakes work well. I now use a Nesco Roaster and I can make a proper simmering gravy with a flour slurry.

I like this idea the best.

I think a couple of people said arrowroot.

My crock pot stuff has been subsemed into pressure cooker stuff, as I have a pressure cooker.

However, a little flour and butter together as a roux, stirred in can make a slow cooker stew solid up, I assume you are making stew in the slow cooker, but want that meaty stew broth? And a bit of cornstarch helps for that. Try not to add salt, it never helps.

Mom always took a bit of flour and cold water in a seperate dish to form a paste then whisk it in. Whisk it plenty to avoid lumps! It doesn't take much and it will get thicker as you let it stand. So if you have leftovers reheat gently and it'll go smooth again from its more gelatinous state

Back
Top Bottom